Wheres my default files?

Where are the files going when saved?

I have simply created a file from a blank template, then saved it locally to a default folder and closed the file. Then within VW2009 I can open the saved file either within 'recent files' or with the open command...however...this is where it seems to unravel.

When I try to locate the file via the Windows Exploring, the file is not visible and unsearchable on my local drive where I have saved it. You'll see the attached files are visible when opening from VW2009 but no visible from the exact file location using Win Exploring.

Can anyone shed any light?

Edited by j.christ

I have altered the post. Confused myself when I read it...thnx.

Yes I noted the location where I saved the file. Then with Win Exploring navigated to that location where the file is supposed to be, but alas it is not there. And again I opened it via recent and open.

Windows search can find the shortcut from recent files but when I try to right click and try to open file location, it cannot find file.

This may not be your problem, but it is something to check.

Vectorworks looks for default files, workspaces, templates, plug-ins, textures, etc. in two places.

For things that are shipped from the factory, there are stored in the Vectorworks program folder.

For user generated content the preferred locations are:

Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Nemetschek\Vectorworks\xx\

Windows Vista:

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Nemetschek\Vectorworks\xx\

Macintosh:

/Users//Library/Application Support/Vectorworks/xx/

where the xx is replaced by the year of Vectorworks, in your case, 2008 or 2009 (you might want to check your signature to make sure it is correct)

After the xx will come something like Libraries/Defaults/Drawing Border - Title Blocks

While you can put your own content into the program folder, NNA does not guarantee not to overwrite it during a future update (but I have never seen it happen).

If this does not help, have you tried restarting VW? If you install new content, you must restart VW to get it to notice the new files.

Pat

I was looking for illegal characters in your file name, you may want to double check it.

Try doing a save as and save it to your desktop.

First make sure you don't lose the work you did on the file, then try restarting Vista and do a disk check.

I agree with Pat, your user library is the best place to store custom documents, custom plugins etc. Make sure you include it in your backup scheme (you do have a backup scheme...), then when upgrading to future versions restoring everything is much easier.

I have discovered where the files are hidden. They were in a folder here....C:\Users\Jason Christensen\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Vectorworks2009

Unsure why this is, maybe when installed VW09 it located some files here, also I am using McAfee SC and although I close the program down along with services it managers to shift installation file locations.

Thanx all for your ideas.

Edited by j.christ

This is a security feature of Vista. Vectorworks doesn't have the proper permission to write to the program files folder so Vista tricks VW into thinking it is while writing to the VirtualStore folder. You should try right clicking on Vectorworks2009.exe, choose Properties, Compatibility tab, check "Run this program as an administrator" and see if you can save files to program files folder.

But again you should be saving your template files to your user folders.