LEDs

BHunter

If I were using say, an LED strip(Elation Design Strip 60 for example)what would be the best recourse for the light object? Do I set multiple sources at approximately the correct spacing and make it a multi circuit instrument, or just make a line light or area light object for the face of the unit?

Thanks,

Bob Hunter

315 Design Solutions

Atlanta, Ga.

Edited by BHunter

Bob

Are you trying to render it or make a symbol?

Or both?

For rendering I would use an area light and have fun with the color.

For a symbol it gets more complicated (63 Channel Operation Mode!!??) I often do a trick where I give the symbol of a multichannel unit the first channel and make up accessories to be the other channels. There was a long thread about it a while ago...

HTH

Michael

Michael

"Are you trying to render it or make a symbol?"

Yes. Seriously though, I drew an Elation Design 60 LED strip and want to try and get the light sources (20) in it. I tried to put an area light on it, but couldn't get it to emit. I dropped 20 light sources into it, oriented them, and that worked. Although I'll have to do that each time I drop one into a drawing- there's GOT to be an easier way short of editing the symbol and spacing the light sources individually. I just haven't (yet) figured out how to bind the light sources to the fixture so if I decide to alter the orientation of the light, I won't have to reorient the light sources.

63 channel operational mode? Oh no..I'll leave that bit of brain bending to those more seasoned with VW than I.

Bob

"Are you trying to render it or make a symbol?"

Yes. Seriously though, I drew an Elation Design 60 LED strip and want to try and get the light sources (20) in it. I tried to put an area light on it, but couldn't get it to emit. I dropped 20 light sources into it, oriented them, and that worked. Although I'll have to do that each time I drop one into a drawing- there's GOT to be an easier way short of editing the symbol and spacing the light sources individually. I just haven't (yet) figured out how to bind the light sources to the fixture so if I decide to alter the orientation of the light, I won't have to reorient the light sources.

So I drew up a very basic object resembling this light. I used 20 spot lightssources spaced, with a low percentage to get the desired wash on objects. To indicate the light source in the symbol, create a texture set to Constant Reflectivity and you can play around with the transparency if so desired. Apply it to a thin extrude resembling the space/glass where the LED's are housed.

To ensure the light sources stay in place, edit the symbol and group them to the light object.