Extra protection from accidentally deleting viewports

Markus Barrera-Kolb

Question

Given that a lot of work can go into a viewport, both in terms of information that's added in its annotation space and in terms of attribute overrides, class and layer visibilities, etc, it would be really nice if there was a way to prevent the thing from being accidentally deleted other than locking the thing.

After all, if you lock it, you have to unlock it anytime you want to do anything to it, which isn't all that convenient. What if the viewport still existed in the Navigation Palette, even if you (accidentally) deleted it from your sheet, and deleting it from the Navigation Palette required you to click through one or two big, obnoxious "Are you sure you wish to delete this viewport" dialog boxes? That would allow you to keep working with the viewport without always having to lock/unlock it while knowing that you're not going to lose all that work through a dumb mistake. Not that I ever make dumb mistakes...

3 answers to this question

This seeems more of a backup issue than a warning/lock issue. Sort of reminds me of the

If Microsoft built a car it would be in the crash shop all the time.

If Apple built a car there would be an "Are you Sure ..." warning every time you put on the brakes or shifted gears.

(That is some other wag's joke)

I agree that VPs can involve lots of time, but so can objects, textures, etc. Maybe some Document or VW pref option for this would make sense. I delete VPs all the time and see the Are you Sure warning as a hinderance to work rather than a needed protection (so far anyway). One can build safeguards into the workflow to get get back to a deleted object such asTime Machine Backups on several minute increment, dupe a layer or the file prior to work session, etc.

Hope you didn't loose too much.

-B