Best graphics card??

I recommend calling tech support.

But my general understanding is that NVIDIA graphics cards are well supported.

In my opinion, the Dell Outlet (refurb, scratch and dent, previously ordered new) offers bang for the buck.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb

Presicion Series laptops come with Quadro FX based graphics...and three year NBD warranty.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Be aware that with mobile Nvidia graphics cards, you are very likely to be dependent upon the computer manufacturer for updated drivers...

...and outdated video drivers are often an issue with VW.

At least this was the case for my HP laptop.

Since HP had not bothered to update the video drivers since early in 2005.

This led to incompatiblity for opengl rendering (a huge hinderence).

I would recommend looking carefully at Acer's track record on video drivers (what's current for two year old systems?).

If you replace your laptop every two years, it is less likely to be an issue.

That's the consumer electronics model under which most laptops are designed and sold.

Laptops intended for the corporate market will probably be better supported.

Because it expects some attention to video subsystem, a Vectorworks laptop should probably be a "mobile workstation" type (or a Mac if you can live with one).

In my opinion, a desktop replacement is not the same as a mobile workstation...

Desktop replacements are designed for general business functions.

A mobile workstation is intended to be used for design applications.

As I said, either will work fine in the here and now.

It's in the area of video driver support over a span of years that there is likely to be a pronounced difference.

That's a good thing.

For many years I was following the technology.

Then I let it go.

Opening my own practice, switching to VW, and upgrading hardware caused me to re-enter it in the last few months.

I haven't been shackled all day to a machine I owned for several years...not since I purchased the laptop with the old video drivers.

Alas, I've gone desktop...If I'm going to have an independent monitor and keyboard why pay the premium for a laptop?

I used a laptop for the past seven years and was satisfied with not having a bunch of cables and the portability.

However, practically speaking it sat on the desk most of the time. I've never taken it to a client meeting...prints and email are just better for me.