Crop edit Viewports

Editing the crop of the new style VW2008 viewports is causing me a big headache.

I want to change the crop of an existing viewport in the sheet layer. I do exactly as the help page says. I select viewport, then edit crop then draw a new closed polygon (a rectangle) then exit viewport crop. All I get a message that says 'a viewport cannot have more than one crop object'. I actually had this working once but now whatever viewport I create a cannot edit the crop.

I can't think what I am doing wrong? Any help much appreciated.

David

Well, I double checked this. I have been using VW for a couple of years now so I know how it should work. There are no other objects in the crop edit view. (i select all and delete) Drawing a new crop is the new way to edit a crop in VW2008. The thing is I am now stuck in crop edit and cannot leave it.

thanks for the ideas but I've done the obvious things.

Cropping is completely different in 2008. In 11.5 you used to have handles to edit the existing crop. Now you have to delete it and start again. Delete the existing crop and the whole drawing appears in the background. You have to then draw a new polygon and the new view port crop is created.

But back to this problem;

I have all classes visible and the crop itself cannot be selected once in crop edit mode (it has no outline). Even if I do nothing I cannot leave the crop edit mode because of the 'more than one crop object' error and therefore have to close the file and reopen it to 'escape'.

As I said. I cannot see these objects, cannot select them, cannot delete them. I can see my existing view port crop but I cannot select it.

Of course I have deleted the sheet layer and started again. But still don't understand what went wrong.

This is somewhat ridiculous I feel. A viewport ought to be class neutral and annotations ought to be classable. VW has this backwards. The number of times that I have found myself trying to select a viewport to edit a crop is very frustrating and a waste of my valuable time. Turning on the classes in the Navigation Pane makes no difference so I am being asked to turn on the classes within the viewport in order to see or select the invisible crop? I spend more valuable time carefuly selecting classes to get the view I want and then have to turn them all back on to crop the viewport. that's just wrong. Am I interpreting his correctly? Come on VW this is a simple fix I feel that has been overlooked as it was not resolved in 2008.

I have to admit I am bemused by this bug, which plagued VW 11.5 and admin here could not work out what was wrong when i sent them a file. If you try to move a viewport to a new class after creating it, you will never see it again.

I have to say that I have had people at our office have the issue you describe, both the problems with the crop and the Viewports on the wrong class. I have always had the operations suggested by Mr. Ouellette work without fail. We have 2008 running on everything from a 1.8 GHz G5 to an eight core 3.0 GHz Mac Pro, without any of the oddness you are experiencing.

Hopefully things will start working for you shortly, I know the frustration of things not working as intended.

ion