Print colour different to screen

D Wood

Question

I am starting to use colour printing more these days for presentation - viewports of the model for instance. However, the colours on the prints are different to what I see on the screen - they are duller, with a green bias. White brick facing for instance prints as a dull greyish green, quite boring in comparison to the screen image, and shadows are blurry.

Has anybody any experience in co-ordinating Vectorworks with Mac OS and HP printers to get true (or at least truer) colour rendering? I'm using ordinary roll paper - should I be using some special paper?

5 answers to this question

You might want to try calibrating your monitor.

http://spyder.datacolor.com/product-mc.php

Monitors can show colors off.

You can also calibrate your printer, a search on google.

http://www.google.com/search?q=calibrating+printers&rls=com.microsoft:*&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Paper can make a difference, you should probably be using coated paper.

Edited by Ray Libby

I had this problem printing directly from vectorworks to my HP Laserjet 2605dn. [thread "don't it make my red car blue"]

When color is important (and when isn't it?), I export to PDF and print the PDF.

This fixes the color problem on the output side.

Since Vectorworks is the only app where I've seen this problem, I don't think it's a pure calibration issue...i.e. it appears to be an application issue not a driver issue.

Ray & Brudgers

Thanks for your suggestions.

The problem is not that I'm getting blue when it should be red (to borrow your analogy), and I get the same result when I print as .pdf (both save as and export and print).

I have tried printing individual viewports as A3 size to my Epson printer, and the result is also exactly the same - white brick prints as greyish green (or greenish grey, same diff). The sky background is fine - blue sky, white clouds, but it's as though there is a green filter over everything modelled.

It looks like the colours are being outputted incorrectly, or both printers need precisely the same adjustment.

Is there colour adjustment available within Vectorworks?

If you'll pardon the pun, light is dawning.

The answer is in View>Lighting> Set Layer Lighting Options. Boost ambient level, change to Daylight temperature instead of Mixed.

I use Julian Carr's Heliodon sun program, but the VW sun tool is probably similar. I boosted the Sun Brightness as well which gives darker shadows, and suddenly the model is in bright sunshine. It still has a green tinge when printing so maybe I have to play with the colour mix.

Hope that helps someone else.