Plant tool hangs - discoveries VW2008

mortlocl

I found if I used the plant tool ie plants in a line it would hang.

Then later I discovered that this would happen depending on which plant symbol I used.

These ones would hang:

symbol number 2, 15 or 25.

These ones were ok:

symbol number 5, 10 and 20.

We wondered if this was a hardware prob...but on a Mac we got the same results.

We also discovered that with the plants that hang, if we adjusted the spacing so there wasn't any (or little) overlap then it was ok.

we also found that the volume of planting also was a factor in making it hang. If we used plant symbol two and drew a short line of plants of say 10 plants or so it was ok. But if we covered our A4 sheet with lines it would hang.

When you say hang, do you mean the whole machine or just Vectorworks. Im not sure what you are trying to do, but if it is what I think it is, then it is just a very slow operation rather than a hang - ie it will finish at some point.

Are you trying to mass plants? Depending on quantity, area, plant size and plant spacing, various results can be achieved when massing plants - infact they can give quite a nice result. However, on some occasions it can take ages even for relatively small areas - and by ages I mean, 10-30 minutes or so - I often mass plants of size 300-600mm over an area of say 14m2 and it takes this amount of time. If you become impatient, hitting the escape key will (not immediately) abort the operation and return control back to you.