Record Formats, OIP, Live Information

If I have created a Record Format called "Temp"

Then drawn a line and applied the record format to it

Can I have a field in the "Data" section that displays the "length" of the line, similar to how I would do in a worksheet with an equation like "=LENGTH" So when I extend the line the value in the data field will change accordingly.

Not exactly. You can have the record with the field, but something has to stuff the data for you. The fields do not hold formulae, they are just containers to hold data. Actually, it's all STRING data, but the strings are formatted according to the defined type of the field.

You will need to run a procedure in some way to identify the object(s) with the attached record and fill your field(s) accordingly - VectorScript, Menu Command, PIO.

Now, if you design a custom tool to change the Line, it can stuff the data for you.

HTH,

Raymond

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

CS1, I looked at your question, and had to ask myself, "why do you need this?"

On a worksheet, you can mix and match record fields and object geometric queries (=LENGTH), so that workflow is not a problem. And you can export a worksheet, so export is not a problem.

It seems the big issue is that you want to be able to see the live length, but you can see that on the Data pane of the OI palette. Is it that you need to be able to see the live length and data record info simultaneously?

Thats cool, I'm just using record formats for the first time and wondering what is possible and what is not. I can see that using worksheets with the info from record fields is a better way to achieve what I am trying to do.

Is it possible to view the OI "Shape" and "Data" or "Shape", "Data" and "Render" at the same time?