What exactly does Use at Creation do in Classes?

Still a newbie to VW. Setting up new template file.

Can someone tell me what Use at Creation does in the Classes dialog? Help says that checking this allows class attributes to be applied when object is created. I just did a quick test and it looks like class attributes are applied either way.

Thanks in advance for your help.

billtheia,

If you've ever used other drawing software like Illustrator or Freehand, or even MS Word, for that matter, VW classes are similar to styles. They're basically a set of attributes that can be applied to objects. Classes automate the attribute application and universalize the appearance and functionality of objects.

Selecting the "Use At Creation" box will automatically set any new objects with that class' attributes, if that class is active when the objects are created.

Leaving that box unchecked will require you to manually set that particular class to an object when you create it.

The downside is that it's tedious. It would seem that the default action should be that new objects take on the attributes of the currently active class. However, because VW's classes also control visibility, it would be frustrating to have a class active that happens to be invisible at the moment. You then create an object and it immediately disappears. so, perhaps that's why that box is there.

Can anyone else add to why that box is actually useful?

charlie

Page 99 of the Fundamentals manual says:

"Applies the attributes displayed in this dialog ox when creating an objet assigned to this class. If 'Use at Creation' is not selected, these attributes can be applied to the object later by assigning the 'Class Style' from the Attributes palette. See "Setting Class Attributes" on page 100 [of the fundamentals manual] for more information."

Thanks guys. That is just the information that I needed. Christian, I think that YOU should be writing the help file - NNA's attempt only confused me.

This actually solves one of my other problems. I was looking for a simple way to reset the attributes palette to "by class." If I simply enable Use at Creation for all of my classes (except none, maybe) I don't really have to worry about it.

Great!

Again, this forum RULES.