Better way of doing wall linings

Christiaan

Question

There must be a better way to do wall linings!

VectorWorks received class-able wall components with the advent of v2008, partly as a solution to show and hide wall linings. However, in practice, I've found this to be an unsatisfactory way of doing wall linings.

For instance, the core of a building I'm working on now is built out of concrete, some of which is lined on one side, some on the other, some on both, and some not lined at all. With this method of showing wall linings I end up with numerous Wall Styles and bits of wall here and there and butting into each other, and even then I haven't done it completely accurately because doing so would simply get out of control and make editing of the walls unworkable.

We need a better way.

4 answers to this question

I have just done the excercise of creating 8 different block wall types for one project. I scrapped them and used one at the end of the day.

I even used a wall as a lining with no success as you can only insert a window or door into one particular wall at a time.

Extending the second excercise I then duplicated the exterior walls changed its properties (i.e. thickness, class and fill etc) and altered the window or door to a wall opening. This is long winded but it worked to a degree...just more classes having to be controlled. I did not use linings on internal walls.

However I do agree wall components are to be controlled better. 2008 is an improvement but not quite there I dont think.

Edited by j.christ

You might want to look at the Alexandria Laundry Lofts.

The way in which existing and new exterior wall elements are integrated into the model seems like a reasonable approach for some applications.

Unstyled walls are another option for unique condtions.

The use of symbols is another.

Finally, differences appearing only in plan could be represented graphically with necessary data attached via record.