What is the best way to workgroup reference large files?

I have a 2008 .vwx drawing which is 74.5mb and I would like to workgroup reference this into my drawing. Is there a way to do this that will not slow down the performance of my active drawing?

I do not fully understand the cache settings and am wondering if making the file a symbol might improve the reload time. I currently have it referenced in as a DLVP which does not seem to be any better than a layer import.

Thanks,

Steve

Use of Symbols is essential no doubtaboutit ...

but ... alas ... making an entire File a 'symbol' is a novel approach ; )

Unfortunately .. the best way is to use WGR and only utilize the minimum Layers required.

No matter what you do there will always be a performance hit caused by the additional data.

However, it is a proven fact that clean&efficient CAD programming techniques minimize File & memory overhead.

The file is all existing data. I wish there was a way to easily reduce the file size like reducing the resolution of an image. I guess no matter what you do a line is a line in VW and this file has a lot. Do some objects take up more memory than others, for instance a 2d locus vs a simple line? Is the same group of lines than composed into a polygon better? One polygon vs. an infinite number of lines?

SteveZ ... you are asking all the right questions ... some solutions like 'Purge' are easier than others. For example using ExtrudeAlongPath is more efficient that Extrude from 2d for certain kinds of objects... ditto for RevolveWithRail over Sweep.

During 2d creation it is essential to minimize resolution in order to minimize segmentation. Every Object requires a description even a 2dLocus or single point on the page, and each description carries with it Class baggage.

Recently, I receive a DWG file from a structural engineer. Most of the Classes were turned off. When I happened to turn them all back on ... there were multiple projects embedded within the file. The guy was just reusing the same file over and over again.

No wonder my WGR was so outta whack when I tried to reference Layers from that converted DWG. A good dose of Purgative restored that file's health.