Merging Multiple Lightplots

Is there a way to merge separate lightplots into a single file, without having problems with unit ID's?

I work for a firm that creates many large lightplots. These plots frequently contain more than 1000 fixtures. Given the time pressure that we are under to get these plots out, my boss frequently says, 'can't you break the plot into pieces, and have 3 people working on 3 files, and then merge them?' It's a reasonable question, but this is what I fear:

User1 creates a new light, and VW gives it an ID of, say, 1.

User2, in a different file, creates a new light, and VW gives it an ID of, say, 1.

User 1 merges User2's plot into his (by cutting an pasting), and now you have two units with and ID of: 1.

Before anyone says, "can't happen", let me assure you that I definitely HAVE had plots where multiple fixtures had the same ID, which caused lots of problems.

The question is, how would VW recommend that you do this 'merge', or would they say you shouldn't even try?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Charles,

You should not have a problem with duplicate UID. I just pasted 346 instruments three times into the same document and no duplicate UIDs were created.

If you are talking about other data fields, then it is possible to create duplicate data in those fields.

But that aside, the best way to do this is to use Design Layer Viewports. All three people should be working in separate files. Then in a 4th file use design layer viewports to reference the other three files. Any edits would need to be made to the three original files, but the referencing file would automatically be updated when it is opened.

Each design layer viewport is it's own little space. You can not edit objects in the design layer viewport, but you can control visibility and it will allow you to open the referenced document from the viewport.

Kevin