dwg import edits dash styles

The dash styles that get imported, write over the existing pen styles.

The best thing to do, is to import the dwg file into a new, blank document (referred to as a shuttle file) and copy/paste or even reference using DLVPs or layer referencing to bring in the information to a project file.

The beauty about using referencing in this situation is, as your associate issues updated files, you can import the information into the shuttle file above and simply change the layer being referenced in the actual project file.

You'll have updates in a snap.

The dash styles that get imported, write over the existing pen styles.

Is this acceptable? Any good reason for this?

I want my assigned pen styles to be protected from contamination. If new lines are added in the list, that's fine, but don't touch my lines!

Is this regarded as a problem/bug by NNA, or just a minor discomfort to live with?

Referencing sounds good, but I'm afraid I'm not disciplined enough to handle it in the long run. Will the master files always be at hand? If not, are referenced resources lost in the target file or just not updated? If not updated, will I be aware of that?

Is it possible to have a chain of references? I.e. I would have a master file where all resources are stored and edited over time. This master file would be referenced to a sub-master file kept as a copy of the master file in the live project folder. From this file I reference to any file within the project folder.

The idea is to be sure that if a project folder is backuped or saved for use on another location/laptop, all necessary information will be included.

On the other hand the shuttle file, as you described is very tempting.

Though it's called "import," it's really VW's way of opening a DWG file. So it tries to keep everything exactly as in the DWG. That's the reason for it, I believe, and it's why we always import into a blank file. It turns the blank file into an accurate VW version of the DWG file, and you can use that in various ways as Katie described to bring the information into your own file.

I understand.

I usually use a blank file too - only this time I imported a file by accident (thougt the blank file was active) to my own file. Then some of my original lines changed style without my knowledge. It's not fun to find this out after hours of work saved in the file. I had to go through the whole file and check every line in all layers.