SP2

Darrell,

We do not have an anticipated release date of the next version of VectorWorks 2008. As you may have observed in the past, as soon as a version is available, the update information is posted to our main website, here, the knowledge base, all user listservs, and anyone who has subscribed to our publications such as the eDispatch.

If you'd like to follow up on a submitted bug, please feel free to contact me via email.

Katie,

Thanks - I have not submitted the bugs but can tell you what they are if you want me too. Julian has.

One with the Plant Tool is in my view major because I use that tool all the time and it still catches me often.

So what you are saying is these things - we do not know when they will be fixed??

If so what would be the point of sending of an email.

I think such things are best kept open here rather than swept under the carpet.

You can do a few things

- check with Julian and have him go in and check on his bugs (this is probably the easiest because he can search under his name for his submitted bugs)

- if you have a bug number reference, supply that and I can search on that

- describe the problem in detail, and I can check on the status.

I don't always known when an issue is resolved until only a few days or even hours before a release is published. So many changes take place during these cycles, it's hard for me to state matter of factly.

On a side note, I strongly recommend sending a quality issue report any time you feel as though something in the software is not acting as expected. Julian is fantastic at submitting bugs. It doesn't hurt us any to have duplicates, or a secondary reports outlining issues.

Katie,

With all respect I have to say this - my original question was when will SP2 be released?

You answered in part

'We do not have an anticipated release date of the next version of VectorWorks 2008' etc

So do I, we assume there will be no SP2?

I cannot imagine NNA is going to just fix one bug; of course if there is a fix one would imagine it would be many plus whatever else NNA chose to include.

Julian could not drive these issues.

I also cannot imagine within NNA's structure there is a secret department working on bugs or whatever that just suddenly out of the blue releases an update and you and others are oblivious to it.

Any bugs that affect me, you or others we just have to live with until they are resolved and that is reasonable.

NNA cannot just jump and obviously must do things in an organised manner.

I agree about Julian - he is just fantastic.

So should I re-word the original question.

Will there be an SP2?

Further; and this issue may have been raised by others before - I think there should be an open list of known bugs published by NNA as part of this forum. Of course NNA would have to have tested them and agreed they were bugs prior to their inclusion.

Users would then be able to refer to that list and understand for their own purposes what was going on. They would know if there bug submits were being addressed etc.

There is too another point - a user may submit a bug and NNA may in a future version or upgrade be planning to alter say a particular tool or process completely which would then change it or fix it. Some transparency though would help.

Some people?s bugs may not be bugs to others. As an example the new Plant Tool (and this is not the bug I was referring to earlier) has had a function removed.

In VW 12 when Editing a Plant Definition we had the option of changing the 2D or 3D Symbol. In VW 2008; when Editing the 2D Graphics or 3D Graphics we have lost that functionality simply. Sure we can still change the Symbol but have to copy and paste it in. This is a lost function not a bug.

I raised this issue in the Vectorworks Landmark forum http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=89397&page=1#Post89397

and not a single comment from NNA.

And again in the Wish List Forum http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=89679&page=1#Post89679

And again not a comment from NNA ? so who knows what is going on

Just this week we have had duplicate posts almost about the Callout Tool ? one in Architect and one in General Discussion ? surely a list of known bugs would help all users interested better understand what was going on

Will there be a SP2 - YES.

When will it be available - There is no expected release date at this time.

If Julian submitted the bug you experience, you can follow up with him by way of him searching the database he has access to.

Otherwise, send me a note (or post) your plant issue so I can verify it is at least in the database and being worked on.

Otherwise, if the bug is not in the database, there's a good chance we are not aware of it, and it is not being address.

With respect to the 2D/3D editing of a plant symbol - I'm not sure I follow. If you have a plant definition with both 2D and 3D, you can edit either part. If you have a plant definition with 2D only, you can easily add the 3D component by editing the plant and choosing to edit the 3D component.

The purpose of this forum is to discuss issues. It should not be the primary method used for tech support and reporting issues. Especially lately, those of of moderating the board have been traveling quite a bit and do not have the resources to manage the board as frequent as usual.

If you post something and you do not receive a comment, it's not that we don't care or are ignoring the issue. I am trying to catch up on posts that I've had marked for follow up for the past month. I'm working my way through the list, and your two posts are on the marked for follow up list.

If you have a comment, question, or want to report an issue, the best thing to do is direct it through your local distributor first and foremost. The resources your distributor has can accelerate the feedback process.

Will there be a SP2 - YES.

Thanks

Otherwise, send me a note (or post) your plant issue so I can verify it is at least in the database and being worked on.

Otherwise, if the bug is not in the database, there's a good chance we are not aware of it, and it is not being address.

With respect to the 2D/3D editing of a plant symbol - I'm not sure I follow. If you have a plant definition with both 2D and 3D, you can edit either part. If you have a plant definition with 2D only, you can easily add the 3D component by editing the plant and choosing to edit the 3D component.

In VW 12 when Editing a Plant Definition we had the option of changing the 2D or 3D Symbol. In VW 2008; when Editing the 2D Graphics or 3D Graphics we have lost that functionality simply. Sure we can still change the Symbol but have to copy and paste it in. This is a lost function not a bug.

In VW 12 when you choose to Edit a Plant Definition in the Edit Plant definition Dialogue we could choose alternate 2D or 3D symbols easily within the Dialogue.

In VW 2008 we have lost the simplicity of this function.

Katie, please do not get me wrong - NNA has made some significant and great improvements to not only the Plant Tool but so many other areas of VW and I love the software.

Sure it is still possible to change a plant symbol in Edit Plant in 2008 but where simply as in VW 12 do we get the symbol from. Only way I can see to do it is copy and paste it in

I think this is a shame as we have lost the simplicity of that function.

Further; and this issue may have been raised by others before - I think there should be an open list of known bugs published by NNA as part of this forum. Of course NNA would have to have tested them and agreed they were bugs prior to their inclusion.

Users would then be able to refer to that list and understand for their own purposes what was going on. They would know if there bug submits were being addressed etc.

There is too another point - a user may submit a bug and NNA may in a future version or upgrade be planning to alter say a particular tool or process completely which would then change it or fix it. Some transparency though would help.

Now that has to be a good idea!!

The other Plant Issue which is a bug - When placing plants in Poly-Vertex Mode - in the middle of placing a 'string' of Plants if you Pan the screen the Plant Tool lets go and you have to start again.

Both have been discussed with Julian and I am certain this one he has submitted a bug report.

That was not my issue as to whether that had been done.

My original issue was as you have answered about would there be an SP2

May I say a few words?

Every new relaese comes with bugs. In all applications, be it Adobe, Microsoft, Apple mac OS, AutoCad, Archicad or whatever. VW is not unique.

As a user of many of these applications it's extremely frustrating not to know if I can continue my work when I chose to upgrade one of them. There is always a risk that hours and hours must be spent in identifying the origin of problems arising. I, myself, have a tendency to blame myself, because like most people I use only a fraction of all fantastic tools and features in Excel, Words and also VW. Therefore I always feel like a novice believing the answer must be around the corner somewhere, if I just learn a little more, spend some more time searching. Then techboard comes handy, when questions are answered.

But .....when it comes to bugs, there is not much to learn from them for me.

So i agree with Darrell. A greater transparency, a list - maybe just for logged in users - with all identified bugs listed, with identification date and a estimated fix date, would help a lot.

We (users) wouldn't have to spend so much time finding answers in the forum. If it's on the list, it's in the pipeline.

I had great help from NNA/bugsubmit just the other day. I asked for help with the "VWhelp"-feature. It didn't work on mac/safari.

I had seen no information anywhere about any bug, so I was quite certain the problem was with me or my mac or something missing on the upgrade CD, some option I missed when ordering.

Had there only been a list......

Luckily the bug fix was released the very same day I asked for help.

All together I must say, that this techboard is great and I especially appreciate the involvment of Katie and other administrators. There are som funny guys out there too, not to be taken all too seriously....but I like them too somehow.

So, please NNA, keep us informed.