Spotlight object select and lable legend manager hang ups

SAR

I am having a Spotlight hang up problem when selecting an instrument or other object such as a call out box in VW 2008. These delays (5 to 10 seconds each) occur whenever I select the light for the first time after opening the file or having done some other procedure like dimensioning, etc. Once the data shows up in the object info box I can then select objects at normal speed until I go and do something else like control tab to a different document, and if the lamp is still selected,when I return to the first file, the delay re occurs.

Even more frustrating is that in most light plot drawings, but not all, the label legend manager will not open and completely hangs up the program and must be forced to close. These problems do not exists in 12.5.2 with the same files either converting from 12.5 or exporting back. I am running Vista and I have the latest video driver. I have talked to Jeff at tech support in case it was a Vista issue with 2008.

Thanks

sross

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

We have had reports of slow OIP in general and are looking into the problem.

With the label legends, did you import an old label legend into your document? Try removing all the label legends from the document and running the label legend manager again. Please send the file to tech support and give us as much history on the file as possible, and include the file where the label legends were originaly created if they were imported from another file.

Kevin,

The label legend manager opens fine when there are no label legends in the document. I even tried removing some thinking I might be a bad one, and I did get it to work but the whole poblem is not consistant. All of these documents are from 12.5.2 ether as a base theatre or a plot to experiment with. Some of the files work fine and other do not and I do not see a common thread.

sross

Lighing Desgner

The only case I have seen of this problem, all of the internal label label legend information has gone missing and we are trying to find out what causes the problem. Removing all the label legends and either recreating them or bringing them back in from another file solves the problem but we have not figured out what causes this problem. If you see a pattern let us know.

Thanks Kevin,

I will send one of these files to tech. I have also tried removing and re importing the legends, sometimes a few at a time. In some cases it worked for a while then started freezing again. I hope a solution is found soon. Plots that have this problem can obviously not be used with Ver 2008.

In a further test of the label manager I deleted all the legends out of one of the problem files and added one new legend into the manager. When I closed it and try to reopen there was the usual long hang up. All of this seems to occur on converted files and imported legends and not by adding a legend into a fresh new VW2008 document.

sross

The problem looks like it happens when you have a mix of new legends and old legends in the same document.

For now, if you want to use the old legends, open the old (v12) file and run the Label Legend Manager in 2008, this will update the label legends. Save the file and you can now import them into new documents and everything should work fine.

See if this fits with what you are seeing. I haven't seen any problems with just converted files or new files.

Kevin,

I converted one of the problems files from 12 to 2008 and had the same problem with just the converted legends and nothing new.

Tech has the file called Peter Pan and found it crashed on all of the different window operating systems. When I convert back from 2008 to 12 everything is fine.

Steve Ross