I have checked/done the following but withouth result:

* checked on corrupt workspace

* checked on the preference settings file

* deleted all my own files in the VW folder

* reinstalled VW

* reinstalled VW after uninstalled VW

* updated windows

* did a system recovery

I know that this may be not the wright place to ask this, but my local dealer is on vacation and i need to run VW today. And maybe someone had the same problem as I have.

There is also other info that may be helpfull:

When I try to load VW, it loads the first window. The one where the personly info etc. is on like name. Then it is searching for the version and modules. Then when VW normaly puts this on the window, VW shuts down. So between these steps, it gets wrong. (I do get the version and modules on the window).

I hope someone can help me.

Go to Start > Run

Type in REGEDIT

Click on the Plus sign next to HKEY CURRENT USER

Click on the plus sign next to Software

Right click on the nemetschek folder and choose delete.

Scroll down a little and if you see a VectorWorks folder, delete it too.

Click on the plus sign next HKEY LOCAL MACHINE

Click on the plus sign next to HKEY USERS

Click on the plus sign next to the folder with a long set of numbers and letters that does NOT end in classes

Go up to the File menu at the top and choose Exit.

Restart the computer

When you restart and launch VectorWorks, you'll be prompted to enter your serial number, so make sure you have it readily available BEFORE deleting the registry keys.

k, I've done it Katie, but withouth result. It stay's the same.

ps: under HKEY USERS, there is no folder called nemetschek or vectorworks.

I had to reenter the serial number like you said but there was also a warning that my quicktime was newer than version 7.xxx and that VW wasn't tested with it. So I set that back to version 7.xxx but that doesn't resolve the case.

Other options?

You can safely run the latest version of QuickTime with VW 12.5.x.

Did anything change about the computer between the time it was working and not working? (upgrade something, install something, uninstall something, etc.)

nope, that's ok,

I really need to have some work finished, so after everything done that i know of could be done, I formatted my pc and reinstalled everything, and now it's ok.

but there is still something bothering me: why doesn't VW came up in the software list of my pc? (I am almost certain that the failure of starting VW has something to do with that)

My pc is in Dutch, so I do not know the exact translations to all things. I reffer to 'Configuratiescherm' wich is litteraly translated: configurationscreen. It's where you can set all aspects of you pc, like screen, mouse, etc. There you can also choose to see all programs on you pc, the program list. That's what i mean.

I had the same thing happen yesterday - Win XP, 12.5.1+Landmark/RW & continually got a 'VW has encountered an error and will close' message whereas the previous day it had been running fine. Restarted the PC, virus sweep etc. with no difference. Then rather than a total reinstall my first thought was to install 12.5.2 to see if that patched whatever was complaining, and fortunately it did.

I had checked/done the following but withouth result:

* checked on corrupt workspace

* checked on the preference settings file

* deleted all my own files in the VW folder

* reinstalled VW

* reinstalled VW after uninstalled VW

* updated windows

* did a system recovery

* did the registry thing Katie told me to try

* installed a previeus version of QuickTime

I tried a few other things I do not remember. But the strange thing is that VW couldn't be found in the software list, although it was installed. That still bothers me.

The program list in the System information panel only includes items in the START menu. If you never had the VW 12 added to the start menu, it won't display there.

now it really goes nuts:

Everything was k, I installed the latest version of Quicktime. When I then opened VW, I got the message that VW is not tested with that version. So for so good.

But then I got the message if I want to open all my .mcd files with this version of VW. Like I have installed another version of VW?!?!? I just did nothing. There are strange things happening here.

So when I open a file by double clicking on it, it does not work. When I choose for Open With... I get the list of programs to choose from. VW is in it but it wont work, so when i then choose browse and go to the VW folder I select VW and it works, but there are now 2x VW in the list when I use Open With...

How can my PC see 2versions of VW when there is only 1 installed? Can this be a result of the update to 12.5.2?

well, its always the same like I said in my first post: It wants to start and load the screen with info on which version etc. but when VW normaly puts on this info, it closes.

And that's not all. Continuing on my previous post:

When VW keeping open, all works fine, even my workspace works fine, so I think that the problem with the workspace was the version of quicktime.

But when I close VW, the next time I open it, I can open the files, I can open VW, but not by doubleclicking the file. so I must reassign it again. Why would this not stay assigned to VW? an what is VW doing when it closes?

And another question: Why is my firewall saying that VW gets incomming communications????

It's really driving me nuts.

Here is a screenshot of the Two VW my pc seems to know, but the files only open with the second one, but after closing VW all files are back assigned to the first one:

2timesVW.jpg

Edited by DWorks

My (Windows)error message box offered a link to details that said my problem of not opening was a Quick Time error. Katie, then suggested my standard workspace had become corrupted and that I replace (in Windows root directory) the corrupted work space files with ones in the back-up folder. This I did and presto I'm off and runnig again. Katie thanks so much for the quick and personnal service today. You are the greatest.

XP Pro VW 12.5.2 QT 7.1.6