Moving from object info to drawing

When typing blocks of text, I discovered some time ago, pushing the ENTER key on my keyboard I can exit a text block & I can then use a quick key to move to a different tool.

Is there a way to do something similar - moving from editing info in the OBJECT INFO PALLET back to the drawing- without moving the mouse first? If not, this ability would make drawing that much more streamlined. You know something like SHIFT-CONTROL-OPTION-APPLE-SPACE BAR-F1 ; )

On my Windows machine the Escape key does that. Select an object, click on the Object Info palette, type a value there, hit Esc, then press the shortcut key for another tool.

Or I can just change to the other tool before going into the OIP. I can draw a rectangle, change to the circle tool, type a value in the OIP for the rectangle's length, and when I click on the drawing window again the point I click is the center of a new circle. It's hard to get in the habit of thinking ahead like that, but handy once you do.

And I can use the Escape key to exit from a text, as well as the keypad Enter key that you mentioned.

Escape works also for Mac.

I have my key shortcut for the select tool changed to escape. That way I can exit the OIP and go straight to the select tool with one keystoke, which is 90% of the time. If you need another tool, the extra keystoke required leaves you no worse off.

When you edit the workspace to put the esc key in, it doesn't show up, there is just a blank, but it works just the same.

I even have a button in my multibutton mouse set up designated as escape/select. I think it works great.

Or I can just change to the other tool before going into the OIP. I can draw a rectangle, change to the circle tool, type a value in the OIP for the rectangle's length, and when I click on the drawing window again the point I click is the center of a new circle. It's hard to get in the habit of thinking ahead like that, but handy once you do.

I tried it and it just works faster. Really good tip. It's strange in the beginning, but when you're able to think ahaed, its just a time saver.

well, I tried it because i find it a very good idea to use it that way, but it just doesn't work. Can you please explain how you did this?

The shortcut is edited in the usual way. Go to workspace editor, select the tools tab and select the 2D selection tool from the pallettes window. When it's highlighted type the desired key. Once the key is selected it is shown next to the tool. I think in earlier versions when you hit the escape key you would see "esc", but now it's just blank for some reason.

If it doesn't work maybe it's a PC/Mac thing.

well, I tried it because i find it a very good idea to use it that way, but it just doesn't work. Can you please explain how you did this?

The shortcut is edited in the usual way. Go to workspace editor, select the tools tab and select the 2D selection tool from the pallettes window. When it's highlighted type the desired key. Once the key is selected it is shown next to the tool. I think in earlier versions when you hit the escape key you would see "esc", but now it's just blank for some reason.

If it doesn't work maybe it's a PC/Mac thing.

It just doesn't work, so maybe this only works on mac then.