Glitchiness on Steroids

I'm having "issues" with Vectorworks 12.5.2, and I'm sure some are due to my newness to the program, however:

I have a new MacBook Pro (2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Ram) running OS X (10.4.9)

Here's what I'm experiencing since moving over to the "new, improved" Vectorworks "Designer" from my previous Vectorworks Fundamentals 11.5.2 (with which I experienced no problems, and was $950 richer...)

1) None of my palette locations or zoom preferences are saved between work sessions, and this is not document specific; it happens every time I open a new file from scratch, or re-launch an existing file from its folder location.

2) My work session ends, abruptly, whenever I use the "rotate" command, followed by the "Undo" command. As a matter of fact, oftentimes the use of Undo precipitates the "spinning beach ball" of oblivion, and I am required to "force quit" the program.

3) On relaunching the program, my previously saved Vectorworks file does not show up under the "open recent" menu; it can only be launched by utilizing the "open" command, and navigating to its folder location on my hard drive.

These are just the most recent issues (the ones I can recall) that have cropped up since the start of my work session two hours ago, and, as I mentioned above, were absent from my old version of Vectorworks.

I have run Apple's "Disk Utility," repaired preferences and even run "Disk Warrior," all to confirm that there are no problems with my Mac. I have 20 GB of empty space on my drive, so that shouldn't be a problem either.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Here's a few ideas (trying to be chronological) :

- in case you're using a custom workspace that you've updated from v11, stop using it. Better rebuild a new v12 one from scratch.

- check the number of Undo steps and eventually lower this (mine 's set to 20).

- arrange all the palettes to your liking, then Edit Workspace. Make a change just for the sake of it, then save the workspace and have it rebuilt.

- now Quit VW in a regular manner, only then it will relaunch with the palette positions from last time.

I hope you get things working for you soon.

Thanks, Gerrit, for your response.

I'll try your recipe, but suffice it to say that I never had to go through these machinations with my earlier version(s) (updates, etc) of Vectorworks.

I also use the Adobe Creative Suite (CS3), and many other graphics-oriented applications: None of them requires "saving a workspace" specific to a document in order to also save the location of previously arranged palettes. "SketchUp," for instance, saves your arrangement of working tools just as you left them -- between sessions and between files.

Again, as I mentioned above, Vectorworks 11.5.2 did this automatically, and I never had to worry about "levels of undo," or other egg-shell-walking esoterica.

It just worked.

I have the latest Mac hardware, software, and the maximum memory that can be loaded onboard this platform. There's no reason that this $950 "intel-compliant" version of the software should do anything other than fly like a scalded falcon, and it shouldn't have basic interface issues like this by the time it's released to the paying public.

Edited by Ladd

it shouldn't have basic interface issues like this by the time it's released to the paying public.

I dunno--I have a similar configuration and do not have these problems, nor can I replicate your crashes.

Have you tried a VW reinstall? Are any other apps acting up? Do you use dual monitors? There may be an OS issue there.

I also use the Adobe Creative Suite (CS3), and many other graphics-oriented applications: None of them requires "saving a workspace" specific to a document in order to also save the location of previously arranged palettes. "SketchUp," for instance, saves your arrangement of working tools just as you left them -- between sessions and between files.

you don't have to save you're workspace. it just so that VW saves the positions of your pallets when it closes on a normal way, then when loaded again, your workspace will look like the previous time.

if VW crashes, it can be that your workspace is f*d up, so you'll need to rearrange this.