Roof: ability to lock ridge & move building lines

Christiaan

Question

I have a problem with the Roof tool in that I can't place a Dormer where I need it.

I've posted a wish for being able to "extend roofs without ungrouping" which I've learnt you can already sort of do by extending the eaves (not ideal). The other option I asked for was to be able to "put Dormers into Roof Faces, as opposed to just Roofs," (which again isn't ideal, because Roof Faces aren't as intelligent as Roofs).

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=80846

So, having got some feedback, I think what we really need is either the ability to place a Roof Dormer beyond the building line (i.e. a "negative building line offset") into an extended eaves (again, not ideal).

Or, the best solution in my opinion, more control when modifying Roofs, and in my instance I'd want to be able to lock the ridge line and then modify/move a section of the building line and have the relevant face of the roof extend along it's pitch to suit.

2 answers to this question

With a lot of coaxing and getting the sequencing right (adding other bits of the roof later), I've managed to get it to work, sort of. Toward the middle there is a line which gives away the fact that I can't line the ridge lines up correctly. Far from ideal but it gives me enough for what I need for now.

I think what we ... need is ... the ability to place a Roof Dormer beyond the building line (i.e. a "negative building line offset") into an extended eaves (again, not ideal).

I figured out you can actually do this simply by using the Height Offset instead of the Building Line Offset.

What would be quite useful would be the ability to set the height offset and the building line offset at the same time, which would allow for fixing the dormer ridge-line and then pushing the dormer wall line back and forth.