Retaining rendering during 3D rotation

I am having trouble retaining a rendered 3D image during real-time rotation using Open GL. I must be missing something in the settings because I can open old, complex 3D files from VW11 into VW12 and spin them around, but even a simple 3D cube does not render in real-time, the line view kicks-in during a spin.

I have looked at all the preferences, responsive, detailed, etc, and set them to different values with no effect. I have noticed that when I take one of my older files and change the setting, say to more responsive, less detailed I lose the rendering during the next spin, and then it comes back on the next spin. I have read the Help topics that come with VW in detail, none of the topics made a difference.

I have checked my computer-out for problems and the disk utility says all is well. I don't know if there can be a problem with the graphics card (Radeon X1600), but I ruled that out when I could spin older files and not newer ones.

Any suggestions please?