Cropping Viewports

Here is a situation where I was unable to adjust the cropping of a viewport.

Viewport is referenced in from another file (which I did not create). Editing the other file had things creeping into the crop, so I needed to make the crop smaller.

I went to the sheet layer where the viewport was. Double clicked and selected the crop option in the edit viewport dialogue. That gave a view of the contents of the viewport.

But, I could not see anything that defined the boundary of the crop, such as the original cropping object. So there was nothing to resize to change the shape of the crop. I did a select all to see if it was a zero line weight object and did not see anything.

Then I thought to add an object to be the cropping object. It said only one cropping object was allowed so my move was disallowed.

Why couldn't I crop the viewport?

My only guess at this point, aside from a bug, is that the cropping object was in an invisible class. The class structure of this file is a complicated mess, but I suppose I could slog through it.

Regards,

Donald

Donald, what you say sounds strange. I am unable to reference a Sheet layer via WGR, and I know that we can't copy and paste Viewports from one file to another and we also can't paste a Viewport into a design layer. Maybe someone from NNA can chip in here, but I don't see how your Viewport can be sourced from another file.

I would suspect the crop is in an invisible class.

Turn everything to be visible and edit the viewport. Then find the class the object is on, undo everything, and ensure that class is added to the visible class list. (This is so you don't leave all the classes visible)

One area not covered: When I create a viewport, in the sheet file I edit the crop line and give it a 0 thickness, so that it doesn't show. To find the crop line, double-click within the viewport, choose crop, and move the mouse around until it finds the now-invisible line. Sometimes it IS hard to find.