3D Steel Ring

This should be fairly simple to do....

I want to draw a steel ring and show it in 2D (plan, section) and 3D. The ring is made of 3/16" x 2" stock and has an inner radius of 1' 1 1/2". There are 8 evenly spaced tabs protruding in at 90 degrees from the bottom edge (each 1/16" x 1/2" x 3/4" in size) and 8 evenly spaced tabs (same size) protruding out at 90 degrees from the top edge.

Can this be drawn in 2D, assigning thicknesses and heights to the parts, and then rotated into 3D?

Marc

Thank you so much propstuff and islandmon. Islandmon, the imge you rendered is exactly what I am trying to do. I see that this should be the easiest thing in the world but... I find the VW manual is too cursory to really understand how to accomplish these things.

For instance, I see I can make a ring by drawing a rectangle and then "sweeping" it around a locus point, and I can make tabs by drawing a rectangle and extruding them to a thickness, but how then to arrange them all? In 2D I would use a circular duplicate array to arrange the tabs around the circular ring, but I don't see how to do this in 3D?

marc

1) 2d create 2 nested circles and then duplicate array the 2 tabs 7@45?

2) Assign Classes attributes as req. and group & duplicate

3) Enter group & switch to >3d ... now convert>NURBS>extrude along path outer ring >2"

then Convert NURBS inner ring & project & subtract

4) Extrude All Tabs and place top & bottom or >create symbol>rotate duplicates of just 2 tabs.

5) Exit Group > select all >Create symbol from 2d & 3d

I can make tabs by drawing a rectangle and extruding them to a thickness, but how then to arrange them all? In 2D I would use a circular duplicate array to arrange the tabs around the circular ring, but I don't see how to do this in 3D?

marc

The Duplicate array works on 3D objects just fine.

PS

I would make each of the tab types as symbols so that they can easily edited en-masse later.

cheers