Editing U and V Values

MikeB

I was wondering, when working with a nurbs surface you can add to the U and V values to get more verticies to edit. You can also add to the weight of individual vertices to make them "pull" harder on the surface than other verticies. What I'm having trouble with is it seems the only way to select individual vertices in order to edit the weight is by using the arrows in the OIP. I'm hoping there is a way to select these vertices graphically in the drawing. What I want is to be able to pick the vertice in the drawing window and have it become the active vertex in the OIP so I can edit the X, Y, Z, and the weight vertex by vertex. Thanks

I'm glad to see this topic today.

I have noticed when moving an interior vertice (along the z axis) on a nurbs surface with a curving perimeter that the edge of the surface deforms. The perimeter of a rectilinear nurbs surface doesn't deform when working with interior vertices.

Is there any way to have a curvy perimetered nurbs surface not deform (around the edges) when moving interior vertices? Is this a bug? Will it be fixed in 10?

Thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by mark@custom:

Is there any way to have a curvy perimetered nurbs surface not deform (around the edges) when moving interior vertices? Is this a bug? Will it be fixed in 10?

This is not a bug, the edges -- also known as trim curves -- are defined in the "space" of the surface. Think of the nurbs surface as a very stretchy square of cloth, with the edge lines being drawn on that cloth. If you pull on the cloth, the lines move with it. So it's not a bug, although we can certainly see how you would want a way to reshape things differently. It's certainly something we are considering for future releases.