Stereo lithograph export

Has anybody had any experience with this export option. I am making architectural models and exporting them via the .stL export option to rapid prototyping services. The service says the file is all messed up which is true from their screen shot. But the file looks fine in vwks and my stL viewer program. Any thoughts?

Thanks katie for responding. I converedt all the doors & window into 12.5 version cased openings and they all appear to look fine. I sent you a email with some filles and screen shots. One thing that might affect the export is that I have been doing it from linked layers. Should I not do that and combine all the layers into one layer? Or should I separate the file into multiple files to perhaps isolate the problem?

If I remember correctly, I had a problem with linked layers too.

Let me talk to Biplab and see what he says.

I did get your email. I will likely forward it to tech@nemetschek.net along with Biplab's notes to have them follow-up. (I'll be training most of the week and unable to spend time on the issue)

after contacting someone in the know about stL. The file format is very particular about geometry, objects closing, no holes, etc. It was designed for RPM machines and files of small opjects drawn at a 1:1 scale. There are actual programs that are out there that "fix" stL file format issues. and also services that fix stl files too. I did get some tech support from NNA telling me that yes do not use layer links and to use show snap all layer option when trying to export stL from multiple layers or after youhave finished the geometry put it all on one layer and to not try to do it with "linked Layers" Another problem I have had is that most RPM service bureau software cannot handle files that have say a building that is 100'x100' without scaling the size down to an actual size of the model, say 8" x 8". the software freaks out at the scale.

So in conclusion. You need to have a knowledgeable service bureau that has the software to "fix" your exports proir to trying to RPM your file otherwise you will get so many errors that the file will be basically unreadable. if you are doing say little 1:1 files of small parts it works fine. If you are trying to export complex architectural buildings that are drawn at 1/4" or 1/8 scale that are of buildings that are really 100 ft or 50' ft long it does not work to well. Make sense ? Contact me for more tips if anybody is interested

Edited by Kurt Magness

I think it also depends very much on what you are pronting to Kurt. Some RP systems are aimed at the architectural market and their "printer" drivers handle scale OK. Another solution is to export your 3D model into a neutral format like ACIS or even .3ds then import into another software for scaling (though you could do this in VW). Then export to STL.

Rule of thumb. Send the bureau the STL data at the size you want it to print at and attach the bounding box sizes to the file for the size you want it delivered.

Finally you can try to boolean your 3D VW model into one lump then export to STL - that works well.