viewing one project in separate windows

Sandking

Question

8 answers to this question

Like setting what amount of CPU % to use while rendering in other window would be sooo great. With even not so complicated projects setting some more advanced renders takes so long that I want to concentrate on drawing than waiting for anything (leaving it for night isn't helping in most cases). Having it render in separate windows would let me draw while the image is processed. I think it's quite obvious and should be in minds of VW designers.

What about even having a seperate window or engine for rendering so you can continue to work? This would save having to have a second machine all time.

This is the downside of the way RW is integrated with VW. You can either render or work with VW, not both. It's one of the reasons that VW users resort to stand-alone rendering solutions like Artlantis & C4D.

What about even having a seperate window or engine for rendering so you can continue to work? This would save having to have a second machine all time.

This we already have. Make a copy of VW, call it whatever you want, like Al. When you need to render in a separate window, launch Al and do the rendering with it.

At least on the Mac you only need to make a copy of the program itself.

You can even open the current working file - it is opened as a new file as the actual file is "read only"/"used by another application".

That's a good one - never would have thought of it with VW. Autocad allows multiple copies of the program to run at once. This may be a carry over from an earlier release that didn't allow multiple files to be opened in the same copy of the program.

How odd that something I saw as a shortcoming in AC has returned as a workaround in VW.

As many have stated before the desired solution is to have true multiple model views with the capability to edit in any of the views and have the edits flow through all of the other views.

Until we can get this though an enhanced Model View protocol might help. The Linked Views created with the Model View Tool are still very useful as this method allows you to create a multiple view drawing of a model. It would be nice though if these Linked Views could be managed similar to Viewport. Being able to control aspects like the view, layers and classes would be very useful. Being able to select an individual rendering mode and to crop them would be wonderful.