Extrusion probs/issues

Hi All

I've been having problems when trying to create solids from extruded polylines. It seems as the the resulting extrusions are not closed, ie. the end faces are missing (not closed) Am I doing something wrong or missing a step in the process?

Also, in trying to create solids from these polylines, I also run into problems where I cannot subtract one solids from another. Even though the two solids are intersecting properly, its like the solid to be subtracted just disappears.

Each solid involved in the subtraction process, is made from extruded polylines. And are created by Intersecting the extruded front and side view polylines of the required solid. (This is the process that I have been using to create solids, to get around the unclosed solids problem stated earlier)Does anyone have a way to fix this or a better way to do this process?

I work for a Environmental Graphics firm creating interior and exterior signage. Our company is fairly new to VW, and the way we have been using VW to create our signs is to import our AI files in the DWG format into VW, and using the extrusion of polylines to create our solids.

If anyone can help with the two issues mentioned above, we would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

-AussieAussie

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Well, AA, you're 100% on the right track -- the profiles that form your extrusions have to be closed to get "endcaps" or proper solids behavior on your extrusions. Here's how to fix it:

1. Select an offending extrusion (e.g. one that isn't rendering properly)

2. Choose "Edit Group" off the Modify menu.

3. Now you will be looking at the polyline that forms the extrusion. (Some programs refer to this as the 'history" of the extrusion).

4. Select the poly and, using the little arrow buttons on the Object Info palette, click the right arrow until the button at the bottom of the OI palette reads "Show Next Edge". Then click that button. You now have closed your poly.

5. Exit by choosing the Exit Group command from the Modify menu or clicking the Exit Group button at the upper right corner of the screen.

Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Closing the extrusion worked out perfectly. I tried to subtract the two solids that I had created using your method, but I still encounter the same problem where one of the solids just disappear. Like there was no subtraction.

I am really not sure what is going on, do you have any suggestions for me in this regard?

Once again Robert, thank you for your help with my first problem.

I still encounter the same problem where one of the solids just disappear.

Do the components actually intersect? The subtractor is of course supposed to disappear while the remainder of the subtractee will be visible.

Check all relevant views (top, front, side). Try Intersect Solids. Check that the subtractee is indeed closed. Convert it first to a Generic Solid.

There have been oddities in solid operations - at least earlier, this part of the program was not entirely reliable and, hmm, solid. In my limited VW 12 testing things have, however, been hunky dory so far.