Chain Dimension issue

When I adjust one dimension in a string, others disappear or their value is changed. Any ideas as to what is happening? Most of the time this works. BTW, I know "Use Individual Dimensions" is an option but I want to stay with Chain.

I am sure this has come up before but the limited search I did uncovered lots of other topics but not this one.

Edited by nycL45

Right click on the one chain segment you'd like to adjust. Select the option for this chain that you'd like to change.

If this isn't the answer, please be more specific as to what you are trying to do/accomplish.

More info Katie: with millwork drawings, it is common for dimensions in a string to end up overlapping one another. So they can be read, I usually slide the dimensions along the string to expose the dimensions. That said, when I tried to slide a dimension or pull it away from the object, most of the string disappeared and a couple changed value. Re-dimensioning was necessary and being in a crunch, individual dimensions were used. HTH

I have a screen shot but am unable to attach it here.

Just changing the text placement will not change the actual dimension value unless the dimension line that meets the dimensioned object was moved. Moving the witness line is only possible when the chain is broken.

Just changing the text placement will not change the actual dimension value unless the dimension line that meets the dimensioned object was moved.

Agreed. I can, however, slide the measurement value, independent of the withness line, into a neighboring dimension zone without changing the value. I just did this. Sometimes it does not work and what I described above (posts 1 & 3) occurs.

Moving the witness line is only possible when the chain is broken.

I don't believe so. I just did it moments ago. If I miss the desired dimension point while running a chain, at the end of the chain, after dbl clicking to end the chain and leaving the chain active, I can return to the spot and pull the blue square to the correct point for the dimension and dimensions either side of that new point will auto adjust..

It's a shame I can't post the screen shot. It shows a before and after. May I email it to you? It is reasonable in size.

Edited by nycL45

nycl45 I tried to replicate your problem and couldn't. You might need to take some screen pics showing what you mean and send them to bugsubmit along with the file. Another option would be to record it with a program like iShow or Snapz Pro and send that in.

I have to say I am really impressed with the new Chain Dimensioning in VW 12.5. Its only when you start to explore its features that you realise how good it actually is

Edited by mike m oz

By witness line I mean the line that the text sits on. In a true chain created in 12.5, if you move the line the text sits on, the whole entire chain will move with it.

If a single line is moving out of a chain, the dimension set is not a chain. You can determine this by selecting the dimension and glancing at the object type at the top of the OIP.

Any other behavior should go through tech@nemetschek.net along with a file and detailed descriptions.