Importing dxf files

colinrae

As a town planner I use dxf base plans in VW Landmark. However i am not sure what is the best way to do this. Do I import at 1:1 scale or at the scale I would like to print to? I am not having much success in either event as the measurements taken on the plan don't correspond with the scale I thought I imported the plan in at. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Colin Rae

This is advice only....

I set the scale (during import) of dwg / dxf to be the scale that I intend to print the drawing at. This seems to cause moset of my font/arrowhead/line weight issues to go away.

If the scale appears to be off you need to reset the units of the dwg file during import. You may have to check a known dimension and look at the factor by which this is off to determine what the 'unit' in the dwg file is set to.

You can scale it afterwards but I have often found it easier just to reimport into a blank file...

if you watch the podcast you will see that always import the DXF/DWG file into bloank document. I try to set the scale to match the original document, or i try yo use something that will suit me. Either one works, but 1:1 is not really useful unless it?s for small stuff

then in the podcast I show you how to recale everything if you get the wrong scale.