Exporting Image Files

bc

Hello, I was hoping someone could give me an idea as to the best way to create proper PDF's for use by my local printer. My drawing sheet size is Arch D (24x36) but my own printer will only print 13 x 19 maximum.

I can export all of the sheets as image files and compile them into a PDF. When I open the PDF my size indicated in the lower left hand corner of the PDF window says 13 x 19.

This has me thinking it will print to that size as compared to my sheet size of 24 x 36. Am I correct? Will I have to install some large format printer driver in order to spec 24 x 36 in Page Set-up and then be able to actually export JPEGS at 24 x 36?

What might be my best strategy to generate a file of my sheets that I know are the right size? Thanks, Bradley

bc, output your .pdf's as 24x36, but print them as super B on your printer. In the Acrobat print dialog you can select 50% scaling, or fit to margins.

By the way, I hope you are producing your pdf's directly from VW using either Adobe Acrobat Pro 7.0 or the $10 pdf995 software. Also, I assume you know you can scale your print job directly to your printer from VW using Print Setup/Scale 50%. I always produce pdf's myself to archive permit sets, etc.

Thanks for the help Pete. Right now I am a stranger in a strange land. I think pdf995 is for Windows only and I don't have Acrobat Pro and their trial seems to be windows only. I have been assembling my PDF's with a cute little app called PDF Lab. I guess it's time to shell out the $500 for the Pro 7 unless the Standard will do for $300.

Whenever I save as a PDF from the sheet layer I just get 6 separate images that make up the total 24 x 36 sheet when mated. I believe if I had a large format (24x36) printer driver I could spec that as my printer and the drawing would size correctly as a 24 x 36 in the PDF.

Trouble is I am having a very difficult time trying to install any drivers from HP or Canon. I have tried a driver from each and it says the installation was sucessful but I can't find it and neither can my printer setup utility.

Any tips anyone? Thanks again

PETE, thanks any way. The list helped me out to the point of success just a few minutes ago. On the mac, it is not necessary to have a large format printer driver installed. Here's the workaround scenario for a mac.

Go to file>page setup.

Set pages boxes horizontal and vertical to 1.

In same Page Setup dialog click on printer setup button.

Go to Page attributes>Custom Paper size and select new and enter your

page criteria and click save and make sure your new paper size is

selected when you exit the dialog. You will return to the Page Setup

dialog and there click ok.

Menu>Print>Save as PDF, give it a name and location and you're good to

go.

If you originally set up you drawing file as Arch D, you will have to

do this for each sheet and verify, after you create you custom with

it's margins, that your current sheet is completely in the sheet layer

boundary before printing.

Also, once you have set up your custom sheet size, for each save to PDF you can go to the printer set up and select sheet size and scroll down to your custom and select.

The above may not be totally well presented but might help you there as

well.....thanks your help and theirs, Bradley