Extruded objects won't all fill

I don't know how from the attributes palette, but once you are editing the polygon, select it, look at the Object Info Palette, and you will see a checkbox labelled "closed". If it is checked, the problem is something else. If it is not checked, you know it is an open polygon. You may check it to close the polygon, but it may lead to unexpected results, as in an additional unexpected vertex. Then zoom, count, etc......

• Like 1

Oh, maybe this is a VW 12 feature I don't have in VW 11. Sorry, I thought stuff like this would be common to all recent VW's.

I redid all the problem polygons, and zoomed in close while creating, so I could be sure I didn't leave anything open. Still some glitches, but I just recreated, again, when necessary.

Thanks for the advice, all.

Well, for some reason (Mac OS 10.4), the Object Info box disappears when I come to Mozilla to describe what I see. The VW open page is there, just under this Mozilla page, but the Object info box disappears. However, I can assure you, there is no checkbox for closed.

There is (in the shape section) Class, Move, Add vertex, Delete vertex, corner vertex, hide next edge. Nothing in data box or render. There is NO checkbox for "closed".

Select the polygon(s), go Modify>Convert to Group. Now double click the group and select all the elements (lines/arcs etc) and go Modify>Compose. This will create a closed extrudable profile. You can check by selecting the composed item and giving it a fill colour. Exit the group[ and extrude.

nesika, I think some very detailed advice is needed here.

1) Select one of your extrudes that is incompletely filled.

2) Enter the object (<ctrl + [> or double click). You will now see the 2d object from which the extrude was created. If you have moved your 3d object, the 2d predecessor may not be centered on the screen, or may be off to one side and not visible. Select all (<ctrl + a>) and zoom in (<ctrl + 1>), asking the program to center the view on the selected object.

3) Select your 2d object, and look at the OIP. It should say "Polygon". Scroll down in the OIP until you see the check box "Closed." If it is not checked, close it.

4) If your 2d object (or objects) is not a polygon, that is your problem. If you have one object that is a polyline, convert it to a polygon, and check the "Closed" box. If it is more than one object, connect all the corners manually using the Connect/combine tool in dual object connect mode. Then compose the separate objects into a polygon using "Modify/Compose" tool.

4) When finished, your 2d object should have a visible fill (unless it is filled white).

• Like 1
  • 16 years later...