Machine lockup on file open

This is a problem I have had since at least v11. Everytime I use the File>Open command, my machine locks up and I have to crtl - alt - delete to shut VW down. If I open the file from windows, ie, file explorer, it works fine. I just recieved a new machine...was kind of hoping that this would not happen anymore! I have installed all VW updates.

This is so VERY annoying! Is there anybody who has had or solved this problem?

TIA,

Pat

Patrick

I have to say I've not experienced anything like this either.

I'd have said a damaged install of the program, but as you've had this since previous versions would that "damage" continue through when performing upgrades ? Only NNA techs could answer that.

As it seems to happen when you are in VW I'd hazard a guess its something to do with how VW is reaching into Windows, and the fact you can open files from Windows Explorer means Windows can launch VW and link to that okay, so its not Windows interaction with VW.

Have you installed any other programs as alternative versions of file browsing, access like Windows Explorer?

Have you modified your Windows installation in any way apart from Service Pack upgrades, Windows auto downloads etc?

Have you considered it may be something to do with software such as Nortons Systemworks etc. on your system. Do you have anything like this installed on your PC?

I don't know and can't quote similiar cases but thinking that its there to prevent program accessing others to do damage and maybe its a access permission gone silly.

Have you tried temporarily disabling your firewall to see if that makes a diiference

Alan

Thanks for the response alan!

I did a little experiment. I just went in and tried to open a file (straight out of VW)...crash city. I then went and disabled Windows firewall, opened a file up just fine. I then went back, enabled Windows firewall, then tried to open a file...everything worked just fine!

I forgot to mention that everytime I dis/enabled the firewall, I restarted VW. I am not sure what is happening...maybe just a "bubble" I dislodged!

At any rate I'm just gonna go with it! :-)

Thanks again!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

VectorWorks does serial number checking (I think - protection is not my specialty) at file open time. So this apparently has something to do with the firewall settings you have set on Windows. I'm -not- saying you can't or shouldn't have a firewall running (in fact I believe quite the opposite), but you know Windows, it has about a thousand options for every OS function, and evidently one of them is making not happy with VW. PLEASE call Tech Support on this issue; I'm sure they can help you...

td4stage,

I run Windows XP Pro on a fairly new fast machine. When configuring my system from new - I disabled Windows Firewall and lots of other things like Messenger etc etc - this is just my opinion. I also check my running services - do a search for 'Elder Geek' he has a site which shows what to do.

I run Zone Alarm Pro as my firewall and Avast Anti Virus free version.

I also go to Steve Gibsons site www.grc.com and use some of his tools.

Good luck