Roof Fascias

Michael_Eschenbach

Question

6 answers to this question

Just use the wall tool. Voila. Done.

For soffit, create a 3D polygon. Voila. Done again.

Both much quicker and cleaner than any complications that a feature-laden, bug-prone, memory-intenstive, modified ROOF FACE tool can provide, especially given the unlimited shapes and forms that some of us create with it. In fact, creating your own objects for fascia allows you to design whatever gutter you like, whether it be a fascia gutter or round-profile copper gutter, etc., and every element can take its own rendering texture.

At the gable end, why would you need to model/draw a gutter profile? Just let the thickness of the roof face object define your gable fascia board. You never see underneath it unless you're presenting a lot of close-up perspectives, which you don't seem to be doing. Nothing could be cleaner or easier in side view as your elevation drawings.

If you really want or need to show a separate thickness for a gable fascia, use a separate roof face. Draw the double-line polygon (option-8) and turn it into a roof face. Add extra thickness to your taste. Voila. Done.

As for soffits, snapping to points in top/plan view with the 2D polygon tool is the easiest thing in the world. Option-command-O turns it into a 3D polygon. Presto. Click two more points to wrap the return with a wall object again (yes set thickness at 1.5" and height at 7.5" if you design your fascia boards with 2x8's). Use the Fit Walls to Roof command on it.

Learning Vectorworks takes some practice. Cut and whack only if you don't know what you're doing.

It also allows you to texture the fascia and soffit separately, though I haven't seen too many stained wood fascia's at the gable -- single color roof face (white) with roof texture (shingles, etc.) for the top surface works fine for me.

Arch.Ken,

Thanks for the double line / convert to roof / for the fascias I do skylight wells and sometimes rafters that way, but hadn't thought about fascias...

I set the roof thickness at the thickness of the trusses plus plywood, and then set the fascias around the perimeter... I do a lot of sections, and it simplifies them immensely.... as for the soffits, it seemed that an option on the roof tool would make them simple as well....

I know learning Vectorworks takes practice... Ive only been using it since the first Minicad ... but there is forever more to learn.. I just thought it might be easier to make it an option on the roof tool.