creating a new door record from scratch

Is there a way to get plug-in parameters such as door width, height, etc to update in a new door record that is created from scratch? Right now I have a separate record that has info like swing direction and door type, things that we use in our office that are not a standard parameter in the door tool, and have added to the door schedules. I thought about using the UserFields# in the data pane of the door settings but that means I would have to trust that everyone knows that each userfield is since I can not easily rename them. Also by having them in an abriviated record, it will save me and others from at least 5 clicks of the mouse per edit.

Any thoughts?

I have my door schedule working by changing the database headers to the aproriate record while still having the default door record with the referenced parameters. It seems to work ok but would like to not have multiple record associated with one schedule.

any advice/help would be great.

thanks in advance

I tried to impliment the Userfields# but have found that it is quite cumbersome to input various items on numerous doors. At least for now, it seems a lot easier to just input what i want in the data pane of the obj info pallete to a record format I created from scratch. Userfield# is at least 5 clicks of my mouse to get where i need to go. As apposed to 2 or three clicks with the separate record format.

So is there a way to pull out the parameters of a door, such as door width, to a newly created record format? I presume it is more trouble than its worth. Otherwise, the way I have it now does seems to work fine.

Thanks