Need help with Chain Extrude Tool

I have been trying without luck to figure out how to operate the chain extrude command provided in Tool Sets. There is not much help provide by VW on this command that I believe should be very useful in adding detail to our models on elevation. The tool is requiring "valid objects in the profile" in which to build the chain. I have not been able to provide any object of any profile to get this tool to work.

If there is anyone out there who has figured this one out I could use your help.

Thanks ahead for your help.

Pete Anthony

OVE

12.0.1 Architect

Creating the Profile Objects

Product: Architect, Landmark, and Spotlight

The profile objects determine the shape of the chain extrude object. The profile objects can consist of up to three polygons/polylines or up to two polygons/polylines and one locus. For Architect and Landmark users, profile objects are contained in the [VectorWorks]\Libraries\Objects-Imperial\10_Wall Accessories.mcd file.

To create the profile objects:

1. Create the continuous shape first. The Chain Extrude tool considers the first, or back, polygon/polyline to be the continuous shape, and extrudes it along the path polygon.

2. Create the second shape; the front object is considered to be the repeating or intermittent object.

Note:

A second shape is not required.

The reference location of the chain extrude relative to the path is the upper right or lower right corner of the shape's bounding box. This location can be changed by including a locus in the profile group. The locus becomes the reference point for the path polygon in the profile group. This is useful if the bounding box of the repeating shape extends beyond the bounding box of the continuous shape.

3. Apply fill colors to the profile objects through the Attributes palette. The colors are applied to the continuous and repeating shapes in 3D.

Katie,

Thank you for the reply.

However, with all that you have provided I am still unable to create any new objects with the chain extrude command. If I make an object 1" x 3" x 3' (x,y,z) and place on top of it another object 3" x 3' x 1" as my profile in the current drawing it it not recieved by the chain extrude as a profile temporary or not. Even if I create this object in the 10_Wall Accessories.mcd. file I am not able to make my own defined chain extrude. Am I missing something? It seams that the objects contained in 10_Wall Accessories.mcd have be saved as chain extrude objects which I am not able to modify and achieve any results. When I tried to modify the existing objects they will no longer chain extrude. This tool seems to be very vague in its ability. Still need much help in understanding this rocket science.

Thanks,

Pete Anthony