convert symbols to AutoCAD blocks

greetings;

i'm developing a set of lighting symbols for Spotlight based on the Field Templates that i've designed over the years. a friend suggested that i also convert the symbols into AutoCAD blocks, but he's uncertain which version of AutoCAD is the best default version. i believe i'm looking for the lowest common denominator version, (VectorWorks export commands recommend using version 12.) but will version 12 be able to support the symbols? or will "fills" be lost? do they need data fields inserted?

is anyone out there AutoCAD-savvy that can tell me what version should be used? or can anyone give me a phone number of an AutoCAD person to call?

any help cheerfully accepted. thanks in advance.

You should use the 2000 or later version export file as long as the person you are sending the files to is using AC 2k.

AC 12, 13 and 14 is cause to cause information to be dropped because it wasn't supported at that time by the DXF group.

AC 2k is going to support the most types of objects with the best quality. With VW 10, you can even export hatches.