Copying object using reference point

wanderson

Question

Just started using Vectorworks 11 after 10 years of using AutoCAD so finding things a bit frustrating at times. How can I copy an item using a selected reference point. I AutoCAD you could click on reference point and copy the object to another location in the drawing by clicking on a second reference point. This could be done as many times as you wanted.

Can somebody advise because it was a really useful command and I can't seem to find the equivalent in VW.

5 answers to this question

That is one of the toughest ones for ACAD users as you use it all the time there.

There are a couple free plug-ins at http://vectordepot.com/PlugIns1.shtml that will accomplish what you're after (Pt2Pt Move & Pt2Pt Copy). You'll have to create a custom workspace to incorporate them.

Otherwise you can measure the distance first and then move that ammount, or place a 2D locus at the start point, select it and the object you want to move . . .

Thanks Delemr,

Downloaded plug-ins you mentioned. Do you mean the ones contributed by Katerina Panagiotakis? If so I seem to be having a problem with these too. I have edited my workspace and the new icons are now showing in my pallette/toolbar. The problem is that when I double click on the icons a message tells me I can cannot select the tools and tells me to make sure the it they are in the "Plug-ins" directory. Any ideas what could be going wrong here?