Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

How to removing trailing zeros?

I am working on a script that calculates the height and width of a surface area and delivers the results to the fourth decimal place.  Is there a way to remove trailing zeros from a number? If the result is 24.0625 then it shows 24.0625 as it should.  But if the result is 24.0000 then I only want to show 24.

Doesn't the Round function eliminate the precision I need to show non-whole numbers?

I need to show non-whole numbers to a maximum of 4 decimal places.  I only want to eliminate trailing zeros.

Examples:

Round(24.0000); { returns 24 } 

Round(24.0625); { returns 24 } { I need it to return 24.0625 }

Round (24.1250); { returns 24 } { I need it to return 24.125 }

Are you displaying as text? The easiest thing is to set your units setting the way you want your dimension string to be represented. You could also iterate through the text string from the back and remove any zeros. 
If this is a number, try multiplying by 10000, rounding, then dividing by 10000

7 minutes ago, JBenghiat said:

Are you displaying as text? The easiest thing is to set your units setting the way you want your dimension string to be represented. You could also iterate through the text string from the back and remove any zeros. 
If this is a number, try multiplying by 10000, rounding, then dividing by 10000

Thank you for your suggestions.  I am very new to VectorScript and in over my head on this so I apologize in advance.

Yes, I am displaying as text. I am interested in your suggestion to iterate through the text string from the back and remove any zeros.  I am guessing the process involves identifying the position of the decimal point in the string, then Iterate from the end of the string to find the first non-zero digit, and then trim the string to remove the trailing zeros. 

Posted (edited)

Hello @exhibitdesigner,
   Been there, done that. Like you, this bothers me, too. I wrote this about 10 years ago and it works well. It rounds off excess 0's as well as 9's.

By excess 9's I mean when you have more 9's than you have display precision. Example, your display precision is 3 decimals, so "2.999" will display as "2.999", but "2.9999" (or anything >= 2.9995) will display as "3". This function tests your display precision, so you don't have to know in advance whether to multiply and divide by 10, 100, 1000, 10000, etc. 

Try using this function to tailor your numbers to your liking:

function TZ(R :Real) :Real;
{ Trailing Zeros (and 9's) suppressed - Round numbers to their display precision. }
{ 2 May 2024 - Raymond Mullin }
Var
	DP :Real;	{ drawing precision }
Begin
	DP := 10^GetPrefLongint(162);		{ = 1/DwgPrec }
	TZ := Round(R * DP) / DP;
End;		{ TZ }

To use, replace this:
   Message('The ratio is ', aReal);

with this:
   Message('The ratio is ', TZ(aReal));

HTH,