Referencing a floor plan while editing interior elevation viewports

In the past I have only really used VW in a 2D capacity, drawing interior elevations on design layers and then viewporting those 2D elevations onto sheet layers. I've always annotated and dimensioned in the design layer as well so that I can adjust elevations as needed while doing so. I am trying to learn a new workflow to create 3D floor plans and then use the create interior elevation viewport command to create the elevation "shell" automatically and add detailing on top of it....as I'm finding that a lot of detailing for millwork, cabinetry, finish carpentry etc. is drawn more efficiently (and better looking) in a 2D capacity (I also haven't found much straightforward training on this). From what I've read, this is generally done via viewport annotations for most people. Is it possible to reference the floor plan while detailing the elevation in order to draw in cabinetry etc. accurately as it's drawn in the floor plan? 

PS I cannot add a signature for some reason - am working on VW 2022 SP6

Any tips / workflow suggestions for interior design drawing are much appreciated!

2 hours ago, gfyfe said:

From what I've read, this is generally done via viewport annotations for most people. Is it possible to reference the floor plan while detailing the elevation in order to draw in cabinetry etc. accurately as it's drawn in the floor plan? 

Any tips / workflow suggestions for interior design drawing are much appreciated!

There are several ways to go about this.

if you are using sheet layers…
You can place a viewport of the plan view above your interior elevation.   As long as you have “show other objects…” mode active, you can see and snap to that floor plan while working in the annotation space of your interior elevation viewport.

If you prefer to work in the design layers to layout your work, you can make a design layer for interior elevations and place the viewports there.  Then, you can work in the design layer to embellish your elevations.  You can make viewports of cropped portions of the plan and move/rotate them as required to suit your elevation.  Personally, I find this to be the fastest method, as you can move between elevations quickly, option/drag to copy elements between them, and arrange your views much easier.  Then, you just make a single viewport to your sheet layer for an arrangement of elevations.  Vectorworks performs faster too when there are fewer sheet layer viewports to update.

• Like 1