Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Visibility Criteria and the clip cube?

Hello, my very clever friends!  

TLDR: Is there a way for the clip cube to inform the result of the criteria "is visible"?  I have specifically tested it in the context of a worksheet database criteria, though not yet in a script.

Backstory:

I have a worksheet that is populated by the criteria "is visible" to give me a quick report of the current on screen elements in table form.

image.thumb.png.4840a4282527c21b9193f0fd73e7b3f0.png

(I have a script to recalculate active worksheet that's triggered by my stream deck)

I often click on a row and "select item" -> fit to obj -> select similar -> clip cube ->... ???  -> profit wildly    -> recalculate active worksheet to see what's around the elements I'm investigating.

Anyway - I *think* I'd like to be able to use the clip cube as part of a worksheet criteria. 

Have a great day.

Short answer -- no. The clip club is just essentially a view. The criteria is actually looking at a visibility flag that's set on objects (which really dates from pre-viewport days) and their containers (i.e. whether their containing layer is set to visible). Your worksheet isn't going to change if you're zoomed in on a group of objects, for example. The Clip Cube doesn't change any visibility flags, it just filters what gets displayed on screen.

From a script standpoint, you could retrieve the clip cube, get its location and dimensions, then parse objects and test if they exist within the cube -- but that is not a small task.

• Like 1