Device Builder and workgroup Libraries

Brian Nitz

Question

I've recently been working on creating a workgroup device file for the company I work for, I've managed to create the file and add things to it by dragging it into the file from the resource manager. While I can go into the workgroup library and find/use devices with no problem as the library grows it's going to take more and more time to find specific devices. Is there a way to link the device builder tool to the workgroup file so that it would scan it as well as the local user folder?

3 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 2/27/2024 at 5:56 PM, Brian Nitz said:

I've recently been working on creating a workgroup device file for the company I work for, I've managed to create the file and add things to it by dragging it into the file from the resource manager. While I can go into the workgroup library and find/use devices with no problem as the library grows it's going to take more and more time to find specific devices. Is there a way to link the device builder tool to the workgroup file so that it would scan it as well as the local user folder?

Hello @Brian Nitz,

If I understand this correctly you have created device symbols in your workgroup folder. The device builder however does not work with symbols but with the device database file. So in order to get this working for the device builder you have to save your devices in the database (available in the device OIP as a button) and then move your user folder device database to the workgroup.

Let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

On 2/29/2024 at 6:52 AM, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello @Brian Nitz,

If I understand this correctly you have created device symbols in your workgroup folder. The device builder however does not work with symbols but with the device database file. So in order to get this working for the device builder you have to save your devices in the database (available in the device OIP as a button) and then move your user folder device database to the workgroup.

Let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

ah ok is the user folder accessible from the user libraries in the resource manager or is it found some other way?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
15 hours ago, Brian Nitz said:

ah ok is the user folder accessible from the user libraries in the resource manager or is it found some other way?

yes, or you can find it in Vectorworks Preferences->User Folders->Click on the button to open the user folder