Aligning heads of windows and doors

P Retondo

Question

Because of a small inconsistency in the way in which doors and windows are sized, it is tricky to get door heads and window heads to align correctly using the VW PIO insertion tools. Basically, a window's overall size usually includes the thickness of the frame, where a door's does not.

So, when you ask the PIO to align a window to a 6'8" head height so that it will line up with your doors, the window ends up being low by the thickness of the frame (i.e., the trim and jambs are not aligned). For example, with windows having a 3/4" frame thickness, I need to set my head alignment height to 6'8 3/4" instead.

Does anyone see a problem with asking the PIO to be fixed so that we can set a window head alignment height = door height, and have it work? One problem I can see is that if current files have been "fixed" to work around this problem, they might become misaligned if they are converted into a new version of the software.

Can this be done without creating a situation where the cure is worse than the disease? I think so, but wonder if anyone else has a comment on this idea.

2 answers to this question