Theatrical Gauze in Vectoroworks?

Has anyone found a good way to make a theatrical gauze in Vectorworks please? I looked for a texture but there doesn't seem to be one.

I'm looking for that effect where you can light and see poeple behind it in 3D but it looks solid from the front when not lit behind. A bit 90s I know, but that's what I'm after...

Thanks.

Vectorworks has a built-in texture called vsScrimTexture that uses noise transparency and bump shaders to approximate a sharks tooth scrim. The best solution, however, depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

I recommend thinking about whether you are creating a simulation or a presentation. If you are constructing presentation renders, the simplest solution would be to have two textures with different levels of plain transparency, and use viewport class overrides to render the bleed-through.

Simulating a scrim has its limits. If, for example, you're trying to determine the best front light angle to make the scrim opaque, you will probably have some difficulty finding a texture that has the subtlety you need. If you're rendering a bobbinet, using the tile transparency and thread reflectivity can have decent results.

If you're exporting to a visualizer, you may need an image-based texture. I highly recommend Adobe Substance 3D Sampler as a way to generate textures. You can use it to generate an image-based transparent grid that blends seamlessly.

• Like 1

Here's an example of generating a texture in Substance and rendering in Shaded, Renderworks, and Redshift.

The Base Color, Opacity, and Bump shaders map to Color>Image, Transparency>Image Mask, and Bump>Image in Vectorworks. As you can see, render mode and settings can have as big an impact as the texture composition.

image.thumb.png.0d83c4304ae33183cabf92ecb531cbaf.png

image.png.475b838383643e56a85138c36d11b1d9.png

image.png.4a623eb1d77c4310b6f3df87825f1eaf.png

image.png.d70c60eeb8cb31a2f06c964b964cd862.png

• Like 2