How to scale Hatch in Window Glazing to Look Like Screen

Hi all,

I am modeling a screened in porch, and to make my life easier (or so I thought) I added a hatch to the renderworks texture of the glazing so the windows would show as a mesh hatch (screens). However, the hatch won't scale appropriately, I think since the hatch cannot align to the renderworks texture. For example, a simple 1" square grid hatch shows as 1' squares in the porch windows in the viewport. These change size depending on the scale of the viewport, but I want them to be small and "window-screen-like" no matter the scale of my viewport. Any suggestions? I would love to not have to draw these in as rectangles in annotations later on. Thanks for any help!

@TallulahOrcel Try this.  It is a texture, not a hatch, I created about 50 years ago 🙂 

But it looks pretty good.  I often use it when I have a screened porches in a design.

Being a texture you can tweak it subtly regarding its transparency settings.

I made two versions...one looks darker because it is configured with less transparency.

If you zoom in close you can see the actual screening.

I attached a small 2024 file so you can see how works. It just has a bit of a screened porch, as an example.

I also have a simple door in the file which I configured with screening instead of regular "Glazing" glass.  I think it will make sense if you mess around in the file a bit 🙂

Hope this helps.

screening.thumb.png.0eebe23c2ddcd565f20ddc53722d1641.png

Screening Texture 2024.vwx

Oh, I may have missed something.  The previous image was just a shaded render...but you mentioned you did want a hidden line version that associated a hatch to the texture? IF so, I just chose a basic crosshatch from the hatch library and scaled it down a bit to look more like screening. I would advise not to make it too small or all the lines will just blur really bad.

So, here is a hidden line version with the associated hatch. Is this more like you were hoping to achieve??

screeninghiddenline.thumb.png.e3aece8ef323cd24d3e8efe1968263aa.png

YES! This is perfect. Thanks so much for this helpful response! The texture is great, but i have issues with adding and "scaling down" the hatch when I add one as part of window glazing. I am able to add the hatch, but am unable to scale it if it is part of a window. I can scale the texture (and thus also the hatch) if it is a 3D polygon, like in your file. Maybe that is the way to go after all 🤷🏽‍♀️

@TallulahOrcel A few comments:

1) in the file I uploaded, pertaining to the door that has the hatching, I forgot to make the door leaf type 'Glass' so you could see through the hatching. My bad 😞 I had it accidentally set to 'Panel', so change that in my file and you will be able to see thru the screening.

2) Regarding scaling the hatching...again, it is not in the file I uploaded because I missed your comment about having trouble scaling your hatch, so here is what you need to do to deal with that issue:

I selected a hatch from the hatches library (there are several options for choosing one that has a 90 degree crosshatch) and modified the scale settings until it looked acceptable. in my case I renamed the hatch 'Screening'.

Take a look at the screenshot below.  You need to 'edit' the hatch you choose and simply change the scale to your liking.  You will probably need to experiment a bit to get it to look as you want, but this his how you scale the hatch.

hatchscale.png.b80221d79d2ffa45436653657aa172d4.png