relative references in server based project sharing don't work with manually deployed files

matteoluigi

Question

We have been working with server-based project sharing since it came out and are generally quite happy with it. After we moved the server to a QNAP-NAS, the whole thing runs really smoother and more stable.

Since we don't want to have everything in one file, we also work with references.

Our files are both vwx- and vwxp-files.

In order to keep reference-path links short, we would like to change them from "absolute" to "relative". Unfortunately I'm running into difficulties.

Even if the source file is on a path that is relative to the target file, Vectorworks only allows a relative reference after I upload the file to the project directory.

Unfortunately, VW does not check that the file is already "near the target file".

That causes,

a) that the file itself becomes a "read-only" file

b) that a folder that I create via the reference dialog is also created with the user rights “read only”.

This is unfavorable, among other things, because referenced files are often not static but are updated from time to time.

Therefore, only absolute references are left.

I'm assuming that's WAD (works as designed), right?

That's a pity, mainly because it can happen,

- that we want to change a vwx file by ourselves manually from Vectorworks, the Finder

- that we reference a vwxp-file which already is placed on a defined place on the PS-Server...

whateverm ut would be great not being limited on using only uploaded files when trying to reference "relatively" using a PS server...

I understand, that there might be some technical issues, but however, these issues are more limitations to us.

What do you think? (Last try made in VW 2024 - actual update-version)

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet