Merge objects without merging

Mounia

Hello,

I have to realize a model for a HA in Vectorworks. To do this, I need to join a frame with an opening and a planking also with an opening. I have created both in this way, but to delete the opening in the paneling via push/drag and section volume, I have to join the two objects together, and then the line that makes it visible that there are two objects disappears. I think the pictures in the appendix explain it quite well. The first picture is the one where I put the objects together and the other one without. Does anyone know how to do this? I've been working on this for ages 😞

IMG_8129.jpeg

IMG_8128.jpeg

First thanks for your answer.

I have to build a wood frame and then put a thinner wall on it like on the photo i added. In the end it is one object, but it has to be clear, that this are actually two walls. I can only add the window, when I merge objects (Merge all objects as a volume -> add rectangle as a window -> press/drag to cut out the window -> select all objects -> delete cut volum)

Is it possible to add the window without merginf them?

IMG_8136.jpeg

IMG_8137.png

IMG_8138.png

I think the question remains, why can you leave them as two "walls" next to each other?

Or are you saying the Wall tool Automatically merges them? perhaps leave tiny gap between them or model one as a solid object rather than a Wall

You could use wall components to make one wall with multiple frames and finish layers,

lastly, you could try to subtract an opening from one wall ( using a solid object) and put the window in the other wall

I would not be using walls for this.

If I understand correctly, you need to have an inner thin sheet (something like plywood) with two separate outside frames.  

If so, then you need to make this as three pieces.

1. Draw a Rectangle for the plywood and then a second rectangle for the cutout. Select both and Clip Surface.  Extrude the clipped object to the thickness you need.

2. Repeat the above for the outside frame. Or draw rectangle and Extrude Along Path to make the shape. Repeat for the thinner back frame.  Don't put them directly next to each other but leave .5mm gap between them so the edges of each will be easily visible.

Note:  If you need to show a rabbet for the panel to fit into, then extrude along path may be your best option.

Note:  If you need to apply a directional texture (like a wood grain the runs along the longest length) then you will need to make top/bottom/left/right pieces just like in real life. If it is metal or painted or something without a direction, then a single extrude is fine.