DWG import settings and class layers

Hi all, 

When we start any new project we bring in the OS tile which is in dwg format. Typically, we import with a prefix then go through and turn off or delete layers we don't use, as well as change the line colours to suit our preference. I want to try and stream line this for both our OS imports but also a few other things we bring in, for example standard details etc where layer/class naming is consistent. 

Example 1: 

OS file (dwg) has a layer (dwg version of a class) called "contours" when imported this comes in with the line colour and fill as back in the class manager and magenta on the drawing as an overwritten line colour with the fill on "none". We would like this to come in on a Class called, "digi-contours" with a green line colour. Now the "digi-" can be set by setting a it as a prefix or by using a mapping set. However, if I set a template file with this class already created (with the line and fill as wanted), the import will overwrite the line and fill settings. Therefore we have to go back through and change everything again. This is time consuming and frustrating, particularly if addition OS data gets bought in later into the project. The current work around of exporting to a new file then bringing into the existing document by using the new layer > import geometry option creates Georeferencing headaches.

Example 2:

We are looking to use https://detail-library.co.uk/ to support our existing standard details. They have kindly shared tips for import settings, however we would like to go one step further and blend their classes(layers) with our standard layers. Again, using standard the import layer mapping, i can change the names, but the layer settings all revert when i bring it in. 

Can anyone help? Is this a workflow issue, or a setting issue? 

many thanks, 

Josh

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like you want all the contour lines set to the same color. And any of the green lines to have a fill.

You can probably do this much quicker using the Select Similar tool than writing a script.

How is the data currently in the file?  If each of the different colors is in a different Class or Layer, then it would be easy to change them even it you have to set the Attributes to By Class.

Is this a one time issue? Or is this something that you do on a regular basis?

More detail on what you really want to do would help us to help you.

• 1 month later...

Hi Pat, 

Sorry just seen your response now. So this sis for all dwgs we use regularly from the same source and format, i.e. standard details and OS data. The OS data we are importing is used on the start of every new project. Its a dwg of the OS for the given area. it's provided by the same person, in the same format. All the different lines, i.e. contours, building outlines, building hatch etc, are all on their own classes. Our first approach was to use the "Class and Layer Mapping" Feature to go through and remap the providers classes (dwg layers) to a new set of classes with preset settings and then select the entire import and "set the attributes by class". However, when we do this the imported settings overwrite the preset classes settings, i.e. fill colour, line colour, etc. with the imported classes settings. It seems the only work around is to import the dwg into a new document using the process above and then copy and paste into the proposed document. This can just be a more time consuming process and can sometimes create issues with Geolocated documents. 

thanks, 

Josh

I recommend NEVER importing into an active file. Specifically because it will change to many settings. Your Import to a new file and then copy/paste is one way around that problem.

Have you looked at using a Referenced DWG instead?  

Or what we used to (still?) refer to as the shuttle method where you import into a blank document and them Reference that into the actual document? Then when you get an update you either delete the data in the referenced file and import the new data there or import into a new file and edit the reference link to point to the new file?

I have not needed to do either of these, so not sure how to recommend what might be best for you.