Problems with Publishing: possible bug selecting wrong sheets

AndySmithArch

Question

I seem to have a strange bug going on. This is in a project file but no-one else who works on this file has this issue. Closing VW and reopening it seems to cure the problem for a while but it eventually comes back. I have tried recreating my working file, without success. See attached video.

Issue:

Vectorworks won't let me publish the sheets I want to.

Symptoms:

1. I click FILE - PUBLISH and the Publish window appears.
  2. In the right hand pane, a single sheet is shown from a previous publishing (A1.01 [Site Plan]). Note, I do not have a sheet with this name in the set. The closest I have is A1.01 [Site Plan (House)] so it's possible that the sheet was renamed at some point in the past.
  3. I click the double left arrow (<<) to empty the right hand pane.
  4. In the left hand pane I have a list of all my sheet layers. I want to publish one of them so I select the sheet I want to publish (A3.11 as an example, but this issue affects all sheets) and click the right arrow (>) to move it to the right pane.
  5. Instead of having A3.11 appear in the right hand pane, A4.02 appears in the right hand pane! If I hit publish, sheet A4.02 will be published, not the sheet I need.
  6. I check the left hand pane to see if I accidentally selected the wrong sheet but now A3.11 has disappeared from the left hand pane (like it would if you moved it to the right) so I cannot select it to move it to the right pane; A3.11 cannot be seen anywhere anymore. Interestingly, A4.02 still appears in the left hand pane AND the right hand pane.
  7. If I select and move A4.02 from the left hand pane at this stage, A4.03 shows up in the right hand pane, below A4.02...
  8. So, before hitting publish in the Publish window, I highlight A4.02 and A4.03 in the right hand pane and click the left arrow (<) to send them back to the left hand pane.
  9. Now, the left hand pane has TWO copies of A4.02 and A4.03 in it but A3.11 is nowhere to be seen in either pane - it has vanished...
  10. So, for fun, I highlight both copies of A4.02 in the left hand pane and move them to the right hand pane. Guess what happens? Wrong! Both copies of A4.02 disappear from the left hand pane but do not appear in the right pane. Instead, the right pane now lists A4.03 and A4.04, both of which continue to be shown in the left hand pane. A4.02, like A3.11 now doesn't appear anywhere.

I can keep moving sheets from left to right and back again and thoroughly destroy the list of sheets as it gets tangled up.

Observations:

• This seems to happen regardless of whether I use a project file or a non-shared file.
  • think I have seen this happen in my other versions of VW (I have projects that use VW2017 all the way to VW2023) but cannot say for sure; I am mostly working on projects in 2020 and 2023 (which I am not yet publishing from).
  • I am running SP6 in VW2020, as are my colleagues.
  • My colleages don't have this issue with the same project file or any other files.

Workaround 1:

Restart VW cures the problem for a while - hours or days.

Workaround 2:

If I select ALL of the sheets in the left hand pane and move them to the right hand pane, the sheets I want to publish will be included in that selection and will show up in the right hand pane. I can then select the sheets I don't want to publish and move them back to the left pane leaving me with the sheets I want to publish and I can proceed. However this is NOT convenient when I'm publishing a set of, say 45 sheets that are peppered throughout a drawing file containing, say 100 sheets.

Workaround 3:

If I don't clear the right hand pane when the Publish window appears, I can add sheets to the right hand pane and it works fine. I can then finally remove the A1.01 Site Plan sheet from the right hand pane, leaving the right hand pane populated with the correct sheets I want to publish.

This has been going on for a while now so I'm pretty much resigned to just rebooting everytime it begins to happen, but if there's something I can do to resolve it permanently, I would like to.

Cheers.

1 answer to this question