Point Cloud - Culling and Refining: DL Viewports

Hi All,

I'm looking at a workflow for Point Cloud data in Vectorworks, in particular room scanning.

We had some great success in testing the new AR Point Cloud capture in Nomad and an example .vwx file is attached to this post.

However I'm interested in people's experience in a practical workflow for utilising this data.

The excellent YouTube video below gets us started on several workflows, in particular Sectional Viewports to Sheet Layers;

https://youtu.be/7H2GX2TgS2k

However, I'm wondering if anyone has a workflow for creating a Sectional Design Layer Viewport.

As shown in the example file attached we can achieve an excellent section using the Clip Cube on the provided point cloud (have a look at the Saved View progression for this) however it would be useful to have this functionality with a limited depth from cut plane Sectional Design Layer Viewport.

The only current workflow that I have is;

1. [Optional] Copy Point Cloud to retain original.
  2. From a side perspective of the Point Cloud, with the cloud selected, choose to Isolate Points from the OIP.
  3. With a rectangle marquee draw over the central portion required as the "section depth".
  4. Either leave Isolated and/or Remove Points beyond Isolation in OIP.

I feel that if there is a Sectional Design Layer Viewport function or workflow there'd be more functionality in the ability to define the section line z-depth and the extent before and after cutting plane - giving more precise control over the Point Cloud Cut. 

The workflow above is functional, but I feel it's a little inefficient / clunky, I'd be interested in other user's feedback and other tricks / tips you have!

Hope you're all well.

J

231117 - Point Cloud Isolation Example.vwx