Data Tag on coincident object in 2D elevation

FranAJA

One of my colleague today had an issue.
He was tagging a window in a 2D elevation (front facade) with the same size, same style and same position of another window which was 25m far on the back facade of the building.
In the 2D elevation the two windows are basically coincident, but the rear one is far 25m from the front one.
The data tag was picking the window on the back facade without any chance to pick the one in the front. 
I had to drag the window outside from the wall pick it for tag it and then replace the window in the wall. 
We can not modify the range of the elevation because has to get the building entirely.

Did you have a similar situation before ? 

Edited by FranAJA

Selecting - or rather failing to select - objects with Data Tags is a massive issue. I have had plenty of instances where it has proved simply impossible to associate my tag with the desired object. Or if (after multiple tries) I have been lucky enough to get an association, it's only been possible by placing the tag is way off in some unlikely location + the only way I've been able move it to where I want it is to ungroup it + turn it into dumb objects.

One option often recommended in these situations is to place the tag using All Eligible Objects Mode then delete the surplus tags but this doesn't help if 1) this will result in literally hundreds of tags being generated + 2) if the tag you want is still placed in a location you don't want it + moving it means losing the association. However, it may work in your case.

• Like 3