Can we get cabling OIP work properly?

kevin.hayward

Question

Suppose I'm placing cables in a sports venue with over 200 lights, on multiple trusses, plus stage boxes on truss, and floor mounted distributors.

Suppose further I click on an object (lighting device or distributor) to double check the connections.

I scroll down to "Power Information" and...

all the power information fields are blank.

I have to click on a Drop Down, then scroll through a long list of connections until I find one denoted with an 'X'. This bad enough, but the dropdown list is not sorted in any way. All my lights, stage boxes and distros are numbered, but in this case VW doesn't seem to care.

In a recent training class, @TomWhiteLight demonstrated how to cable up a light using this drop down. It was very impressive until you realise, and I felt too embarrassed to point it out at the time, that his little demo of one distro and one light was meaningless as finding the right connections becomes impossible when you're searching through a massive, unsorted list.

So, two wishes:

1. Populate the power connections in  distros and lights correctly, to reflect the actual connections
  2. Make it easier to find/create connections, and sort the list of available connections.

Edited by kevin.hayward
  • Like 1

2 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @kevin.hayward,

Thanks for the feedback! We already did some improvements on the sorting of these lists that will be available soon in VW 2024. As for the easier search, when you open a list browser if you type x it should filter out all options with x in them which includes the selected one.

Let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1
On 11/13/2023 at 11:37 AM, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

As for the easier search, when you open a list browser if you type x it should filter out all options with x in them which includes the selected one.

The problem with this is it takes time, and when I find and select the [x] connection, it triggers an On Click event in the OIP which means VW recalculates the cable. This takes more time AND then forces a redraw of the OIP. So I now have to scroll down through the OIP until I find the connections.

I want to click on a light/distro/whatever and quickly see what's connected to what.